Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Waiting List

We are in the process of moving and word has rapidly spread. At the moment we have 40 children on the books, many of whom are aged 3.

We are concerned that we could disappoint a number of families by not having space to accomodate them.

This has led us to question the following:

1. Are we able to limit the number of sessions offered to existing families to say 6/7 per week?
  2. Is there any criteria which will allow us to offer places to those in the immediate vicinity first?
  3. Should we make any changes as a temporary policy or a permanent fixture - there may be changes where we may not be so oversubscribed
  4. Is there a requirement for us to inform Ofsted and our LEA?

What does your admissions policy say? And I guess it depends on what type of group you are: committee run groups will probably have set procedures for changing policies, but even in privately owned groups it would be good practice to consult with parents before any change is implemented.

I would contact the local authority and see what they advise!

Good luck with the move.

Maz

What does your admissions policy say? And I guess it depends on what type of group you are: committee run groups will probably have set procedures for changing policies, but even in privately owned groups it would be good practice to consult with parents before any change is implemented.

I would contact the local authority and see what they advise!

Good luck with the move.

Maz

Our admissions poilcy just states that older children and siblings will be prioritised, but there will be a number of families who just won't get a place - some people drive a distance to come to us whene there are closer providers, but realistically, the local area has a limited amount of spaces and a growing population -especially since the closure of another pre-school on the Council estate. I'm concerned that those who can drive and afford to go elsewhere won't do that and the needy will miss out. But how do you say that on paper without it being offensive and unequal?!

I agree with happyMaz, consult parents when revising policy. Prior to the consultation think of various scenario's ie: if you reduce number of sessions available to 6/7 per child, will the other 3/4 sessions available fit the needs of your 'stakeholders'? Will the 3/4 session option be less useful/unused? How will session limits affect attendance patterns re: planning etc?

Who do you see your services are mainly for? (this needs discussion / consideration to all stakeholders, ie: children, parents, local school, staff, local businesses etc)Is the setting mainly to service the Local community? Working parents? Funded children? Under 3's? or what percentage of each of these would make a good balance, ie: for sustainability, meeting need, LEA requirements?

Think these things through, get advice from LA, talk to parents (or do a questionairre ). I think that all policies need at least an annual revue as needs can change, ie: birth rates, new jobs in an area etc. The very fact that it is a change that has caused this rethink shows how much change affects policy. :o

It's not an easy problem, but thought / consultation, in terms of meeting needs and business sense, and some flexibility based within the context of equal opportunity should be a basis for a balanced decision.

Rather you than me, go good luck, be interested in what is decided and what influences your decisions. xD

Peggy

Sorry off on a ramble, don't think I've addressed your questions :(

1/ limited sessions needs thinking through, I would think that it is ok to choose to do this, but check with LEA re: funded places.

2/ Your admissions policy can say local children first. (as far as I know)

3/Policies always need review.

4/ I don't think you need to inform Ofsted and as for LEA, I'd give them a call and ask, they may well be able to help you think through various limits / options, especially with regard to equality of opportunity and funded places. When talking to LEA ask them to clarify which of their advice is guidance and which is law :oxD At the end of the day it is your group ( or committees group, can't remember your status)

Peggy