Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Passover

We are celebrating Passover in April and I'm struggling finding activities and foods which are safe and easy to understand...any ideas?

thank you

Flat bread is a food of passover and the main food is eaten from the seder plate and is a very prescribed selection of things - roast bone and bitter herbs are 2 I recall. Passover would be quite a difficult event for young children to understand I feel. Short of enacting the exodus or holding a passover meal I'm stuck to think how you would explain it unless you have Jewish children who could talk about what they do for Passover at home?

Cx

Flat bread is a food of passover and the main food is eaten from the seder plate and is a very prescribed selection of things - roast bone and bitter herbs are 2 I recall. Passover would be quite a difficult event for young children to understand I feel. Short of enacting the exodus or holding a passover meal I'm stuck to think how you would explain it unless you have Jewish children who could talk about what they do for Passover at home?

Cx

I know what you mean, but I think just touching on the celebrations of others can be enough - we are hoping to break the bread, hide the largest piece and search for it (as is done traditionally), however...what's next? We have managed with Wesak and Purim, we've looked at the Innuit people recently, but I'm getting a little stuckk here - even the BBC site seems complex...aargh!

well maybe just consider it it in relation to symbols and comparing to other rituals they may have talked about. I'm loathe to call passover a "celebration" or "festival" as it is more a time of remembrance. Maybe talk about how food eaten at certain times represents what we are thinking about - you could revisit this idea later with Easter - eggs represent new life, spring etc.

Try taking in regular bread and matzohs (water biscuits) and let them taste, smell, feel the difference, lots of language etc. from that. Bread isn't allowed on Passover and matzoh is eaten instead. Something called charoses - made with apples, nuts, cinammon (wine!), sugar can be faked with apple sauce, ground almonds or other nuts, cinammon and sugar - skip the wine or use grapejuice. This represents the straw/cement used for building the bricks and is part of the Passover night. Another activity with children is the cleaning that goes on before - a bit like spring cleaning - to ensure there is no trace of leaven found in the houses. You could do this in the home corner and combine with spring cleaning. Could do work on night and day or light and dark as the whole Passover meal takes place at night. Of course staff could always drown their sorrows with the 4 cups of wine!!!!!! Have fun and enjoy it, Ruthanne :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)