Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Number Recognition

Please help i am at an utter loss after teaching nearly 16 years!!!

At the moment I am in Reception and have a group of children who just have no idea of number recognition up to 5. I don`t know how many other ways I can think of doing activities - the pupils are just so poor nothing is having any impact and we are now half way through the year. They are all on SEN register but I could just do with someone suggesting a great activity that myself or TA might not have thought of.

Thanks

know how you feel! Have just gone into Nursery after 18 years everywhere else!

I have found a really good one is to use 1p coins only and to get the children to close thier eyes whilst you very slowly put them into their hand one at a time. You can go upto 5 if you like or some I just do 1,2 or 3 etc. This sessm to work really well and is helping them to conserve and to understand the oneness of one etc. Good luck!

P.S. I thought I'd seen it all until I did full change P.E. with Nursery for first time last September.........!

Phonics is slightly better. They just have no idea when i hold up number 2 etc what it is. Drawn it in sand used interactive to make more interesting played bingo - they are struggling so much and to make it worse they had a week off last week !

A game my TA plays with my SEN is hiding a large number card behind a wall. She slowly reveals part of the number and the children have to guess what it is. They are getting quite good.

Also, my children are obsessed with treasure hunts in our garden area. You could have a go at hiding the numbers and they could have to find specific ones or a number bigger/smaller than another number?

Could you chalk out a large target with different number for each section and throw a bean bag on given number? Or even a hopscotch board.

We use numbered paper cups 1-5 with clothes pegs pegged around, count the pegs to find the number.

Number 4 areas of a room and call out a number for them to go to.

Perhaps you could ask parents to donate old birthday badges with numbers on for teddies to wear and they could then order them.

I often play musical numbers / chairs (like the party game) play the music and when it stops jump on a number / chair. Ask specific children to say their number. The child who gets it right most often wins a small prize (usually a sticker). How about making a car park with numbers? Ask the children to park their car in bay number 5 etc. Also I bought sum rubber ducks and numbered them. Ask the children to hook them out or play pairs matching the numbers together. Also I cut out numbers on circles and laminated them. I hole punched a hole through one side and threaded a string through. I asked the children to make necklaces using the beads with the amount specified on the card circle. Just a few ideas. Hope they help!

Vicki

I recently made some song sacks, 5 little ducks, i wrote numbers 1 to 5 on rubber ducks and put them into a shallow tray with water i demonstated putting the numbers in order whilst singing the song then had the activity set up as an independant activity, all the children loved it and played with it for ages - it was definately the appeal of the water. Also did a similar thing with painted plastic bottles with numbers on for 10 green bottles.

Another game i use with numbers to 20 but could be used with numbers to 5 is - i hand out number cards for the children to hang in order on a low washing line on the classroom wall. I then bring 1 child to the front of the classroom and stick a post it note on their back with 1 of the numbers on. That child has to guess which number it is by asking the other children questions eg. is it 2? no, ok is it less than 2 or more than 2? I take down the number if they guess the wrong one. i find that by the end of the year the children ask more sophisticated questions.

Hope this helps

Another game i use with numbers to 20 but could be used with numbers to 5 is - i hand out number cards for the children to hang in order on a low washing line on the classroom wall. I then bring 1 child to the front of the classroom and stick a post it note on their back with 1 of the numbers on. That child has to guess which number it is by asking the other children questions eg. is it 2? no, ok is it less than 2 or more than 2? I take down the number if they guess the wrong one. i find that by the end of the year the children ask more sophisticated questions.

Thats a lovely idea, I think my class might be ready for that! Thanks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)