Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Den Making

I want to give the children at my preschool a better oportunity to create dens both indoors and out. I am having a problem with what to use as supports; we are in that familiar position of having to get items in and out of storage daily so need things to be easily transported and stored. The supports need to be strong, safe and stable does anyone have any ideas?

I bought one of those folding indoor washing line things!! It cost £8.00. Granted its not the most sturdy of things but the children enjoy using pegs to peg blankets etc on it! During 'space week' I covered it it black netting and put the battery operated twinkly stars all over it! It looked really cosy! :o

Giant cardboard boxes are always a hit even though they dont last long!

We used tables placed against the wall with large table cloths or sheets covering the front, and also used to cover the climbing frame too.

Peggy

Great idea I saw at EEC was lengths of dowel with those loops for curtain wires screwed into the end then a length of string threaded through the loops when pulled and tied it made a wigwam frame to throw a large sheet over. Really simple and easy to store.

Mindstretchers do a den building pack http://www.mindstretchers.co.uk/cat/S/Msdbkit.html

Thank you for all your replies and ideas, i really liked the airer on the daysgoneby website- maybe one day when i've got some spare cash. i'm off to b & q to buy some dowels, string and eye hooks now. I'll let u know how i go!!

em x

Oh Marion-why did you have to find that site?? I would love one of the wooden clothes airers. I can remember using my mum's as a child and was always disappointed if the weather was wet as I wouldn't be able to use it.

Have you seen the Janet and John books-those bring back memories.

Linda

I think I sound like my mother!!! :o

Another 'days gone by' addict here too Marion. Thanks for that. :o

Just home from a staff meeting where we talked about den supports. One idea was to pour concrete into some large plant pots with a strong bamboo cane (or something) sticking out of the middle. Holes could be made at the top of the cane/pole in which rope/twine/string can be passed through. Fabric could then be pegged to this rope etc thus keeping the roof of the den up (so muggins here no longer has to stand there holding it up!!!!) xD

One idea was to pour concrete into some large plant pots with a strong bamboo cane (or something) sticking out of the middle.

I've used that idea for a portable number line-indoor for circle time and outdoor

Wooden broom handles are the best.Thick enough to drill through and the top is rounded for safety.

Thank you everyone for your replies, I am now the proud creator of two rather fab teepees!! We're giving them a test drive tommorrow hopefully they will withstand being played with. It looks like I'm going back to b and q for some broom handles and concrete now though!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)