Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Observation Session By Deputy And Head

I'm due for observations after half term by the 2 deputies and the head and wondered if anyone has any tips for making nursery children sit and listen. At the moment I have a couple of SEN children who refuse to sit on the floor and whilst I let them go off and play, I know I'll be pulled up on this during an observation. There are other children as well who are not mature enough yet to sit and listen .......I need some tips of strategies I can use. I use music to get them together but half of them still need rounding up! I'm worried about getting a poor review

Hi Kermit, what is the focus of the obs? would it be possible for you to do an active activity? eg something involving a walk, some music or dance or something creative where you can meet the needs of different children by outcome (or where support can be directed by TA for example), rather by how long they can sit for?

Mundia, One focus is going to be literacy, one numeracy and one general but they want to see me give an input. Making it active is a good idea, thanks

Guest jane heald

[Don't know if this is aany use but I had a similar thing and i did positional langage outside linked with our theme of Bees. Each child had made a simple Bee (instructions on Cbeebies) and then we took our Bee flying outside, Land your Bee on top of the sand pit, next to the climbing frame etc. For Literacy i did a treasure hunt and matched the treasure to the corrct treasure box differentiated some matched and other groups put into treasure box marked with initial sounds.

Hope it goes well.

Hi Kermit,

I agree that you should try and make your lesson as "active" as possible - your Head and DH should understand however, about child development, concentration and listening skills etc.!!!!!

However, I had a little boy last year (Reception age), who had specific needs and one thing that I found he enjoyed, and which encouraged him to sit for a reasonable amount of time was his own special little "spot". I found out that he was fascinated with Spiderman, so I found a large picture (internet), laminated it and stuck it onto a rubber disk (which we use as marker spots for PE). He was so thrilled with this and it really did do the trick, eventually he didn't need it.

I have also used "magic carpets" - samples from carpet books (you know - the small squares). Same principle but not as personallised as the Spiderman idea.

Good luck. :o

I'm due for observations after half term by the 2 deputies and the head and wondered if anyone has any tips for making nursery children sit and listen. At the moment I have a couple of SEN children who refuse to sit on the floor and whilst I let them go off and play, I know I'll be pulled up on this during an observation. There are other children as well who are not mature enough yet to sit and listen .......I need some tips of strategies I can use. I use music to get them together but half of them still need rounding up! I'm worried about getting a poor review

what about doing a listening skills games, having sounds of their fav tv programmes with pictures of them to match, the kids would like it.

Nicola

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)