Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Slap Cheek

My Nephew has slap cheek, i told Samantha's day care providers she had been in contact with it but she shows no signs of coming down with it herself at all. They will not now accept her into day care until Monday and thats after i have taken her to the doctors and he has issued me with a note certifying her fit to return. I have not come across this before with slap cheek and infact my nephew was not excluded from school with it. I feel they are taking very drastic an action, can they do this are they justified?. good job i'd already booked Thursday and Friday off work as holidays (were going to be a few days for me to recharge my batteries!!!).

Jojom

We've just had this in our school, children are infectious before the "slap cheek" rash appears and often not ill particularly, we were told they didnt need to be excluded.

Some children do seem to be unwell with it, others not.

Adults are often unaffected, I believe.

Enjoy your days off.

We had an outbreak of it at school a couple of weeks ago. As far as I understand that once it has come out it isn't contagious anymore. The contagious bit is before the redness occurs. We had loads of children walking around with it! I guess it's just down to their own policy though. Very annoying for you as it's a bit of a silly situation. How can they say no to your daughter? will they say this if she comes into contact with a child with a cold? Maybe you should ask to see their policy on this!

Vicki

We had about 20 children have this last june / july. It is only dangerous if in contact with pregnant women.

Our school nurse briught in lots of information leaflets on this condition and it states on them that children need not be excluded.

If you google slapped cheek you may geyt the leaflet up as its a gov one that distributed to health authorities.

I think its taking airing on the side of caution too literally. Not only did i have to collect Samantha this morning but now she has to stay at home for two days. I have had to make her a appointment early Monday morning so that hopefully i can get her into day care relatively early and go back to work myself. Dont get me wrong i never would have a problem keeping Samantha at home if she needed to be and spending a few days together without the rush of normal every day life will be great. But its a silly rule if you ask me and ive not come across any other setting including my own that excludes children for possible slap cheek.

jojom

Sap cheek is also known as Erythema Infectiosum or Fifth disease. It's called Fifth disease bacause it's apparntly the fifth most common disease caused by a rash in children. It's caused by a virus and it's infectious for 4-20 days before the rash appears and not while you have the rash. You usually only have it once in your lifetime.

Sue J

The 'Guidance on Infection Control in Schools and Other Childcare Settings' poster published by the Health Protection Agency - which I'm sure I ordered this year following a link on this site - says there's no need fo exclusion but mentions the risk to pregnant women before 20 weeks.

I have experienced this in my setting. I recall checking about exclusion and being confident that it was not infectious. I do recall letting parents know about it and putting up a notice for parents who may be, or who were pregnant to be aware that there was a case of slap cheek and if they were concerned to speak to their doctors.

Peggy