Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Disability Awareness Week-any Ideas?

Hi all, really need some help! We are having a whole school disability awareness week next week. All of our carpet times and activities have to be linked to this topic. I am in Nursery and am struggling to think of things to do with the children that they would understand and enjoy. Would be grateful if anyone has any ideas! Thanks Claire

I went on letters & sounds training today and we played a game where we all sat in a circle with one person in the middle with a blindfolded on. A musical instrament was given to one child (taken in turns) and the person in the middle had to point where the sound came from.

Is this the sort of thing you wanted?

Thanks for your ideas, cant believe how quickly got the replies! That website is really good. Like teh sound of that game too, will definately give it a try. Senses is a good place to start too. Set my mind thinking now! Thanks for the ideas

Wow those books look fantastic. There is a child with Down Syndrome who signs in Rec so Im sure they would be fantastic for him too. Thanks for the link

Working with children who have special needs/ disabliities the most important thing is to facilitate communication with other children and adults. So teaching simple signs would be great. Singing hands are two great singers who sing and sign simple songs which are really easy to learn.

http://www.singinghands.co.uk/

There is a book you could read which shows that children with disabilities are no different to them and they want to play the same games

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1...ebookdeposi-21/

Books like 'Walking through the jungle' by barefoot books show positive images of disabled children.

Something special programmes are great!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)