Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phase 1 Letters And Sounds

I've been given the letters and sounds document to read over the hols and as I teach Nursery I'm just wondering a few things I'm presuming I look at Phase one but do I have to work through it in a set order or can I choose which activities I want to do each week? I'm wanting to get it right from the beginning because I'm due an observation after half term Thanks

Yes, you need only concentrate on phase1 in nursery. Phase 1 activities underpin all that goes on in the other phases and should run alongside those phases too. I think the strands within the phases correlate and build on each other and I'm not sure if it matters too much in which order you do them although I have looked at them in order!

Spooky- I was just thinking about that - I downlaoded some lovely resources - from the TES website, (courtesy of Marion I think!!!!!! :o 0 and would love to use them in our pre-school.

So just wanted the same question answered. we want to used them in play-based activities.

xxxx

We use the phase one activities but don't do them in any specific order-just pick out a game the children would be able to cope with and enjoy.

I am going on a course tomorrow afternoon so I will ask the question.

Linda

I believe you should do a variety of activities from each strand - not sticking to one strand at a time. The final one (7 I think) (sound talking) is receommended to be done in the summer term for the children who are ready, and are confident and capable in the other phases. This is what we have agreed is happening with the pre-school that feeds into our school (we are both part of the CLLD programme).

hey

just interested to see any comments about the letters and sounds, im shortly embarking on my first "teaching" post, (ive put that in inverted commas as im not actually a qualified teacher but have EYPS and pre school teacher will be my title)

anyway havent worked with the age before and havnt used the letters and sounds although have a pack that im trying to get my head around and see how it fits into my child led and play based approach ill be working with 3-5's and hope that it doesnt expect anything too formal???

hope to hear comments

Hi northernbird

I think that is the good thing about phase one in that it isn't formal. There are some really nice games and ideas. Watch the CD, lovely ideas for listening skills and distinguishing sounds-sounds in the environment, body sounds etc rather than letter sounds that is.

Linda

Haven't heard that but it would make some sense. I would try to get a copy for every staff memebr if that happened. I'd hold back with the current format because a)it would be too daunting and :o some might be tempted to try Phase 2 etc.

On our brief training session the EYATs said that Aspects 1-6 could be just 'dipped into' in no particular order as long as you checked there was an overall balance. They felt that you wouldn't usually work on Aspect 7 until the summer [terms 5 & 6] and then just with the children enetering Reception in September. I don't know whether that hepls.

On the course I attended today our trainer said the same as Weightman's-just dip into each of the first six aspects ensuring you give each adequate cover.

Linda

It's a shame there is no DVD Susan-although the ideas are all in the pack it just shows how they can be put into practice.

I ordered my pack from the website.

Linda

That's the one Marion - and I can't thank you enough!!!

I cut them out, laminated, hole punched and put them on a big split ring, and hang them on the wall ready for action. I've numbered the backs so we can record the ones we use to ensure a good coverage of them. (must admit I left the one 'big one' off!!)

We now use them in our pre-school most days..........especially usefull when staff start having little chats !!!

xxx

Marion

thank you so much for sharing your format - It's just what I've been meaning to do! Number 20 on 'to do list' :o

thanks also louby loo for that brilliant way of using them - otherwise it's sometimes 'out of sight, out of mind' in my setting.

Sam XX

I think Letters and Sounds is a great resource. Phase1 is excellent for the preschoolers I have. I also use Foundations of Literacy to aid planning for CLL. I work it alongside L & S. Has loads of superb ideas and easily understandable.

http://www.suepalmer.co.uk/pubfol.php

if anyone hasn't seen it.

Forgot to say it also mentions FSF on Useful Links at bottom of Sue Palmer Web site.

• 1 month later...

Hello I am new to this so dont know if I am doing it right in answer to a question I have noticed I dont know if it can be ordered but you can download phase one by itself from www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/local/clld/resources/letters_and_sounds/phase_one.pdf Ihope tis is helpful.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)