Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Consultation

I wasn't too sure where to put this and do apologise if it has already been covered, but have just opened my copy of 'Under 5's' (PLA magazine) and read the article on pg 6. It gave me a link to this

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/consultations/conSe...mp;itemNumber=3

I can't believe that Pre Schools like mine (sessional) will have to pay Ofsted an annual registration fee of £400 rather than the £20 we now pay by 2010!!! If this proposal goes ahead, we will be struggling big time. Just another convincing brick in the wall that there is a hidden agenda to close sessional pre schools.

Please please please respond to the consultation and make your voices heard.

As I understand it, the extra fees will make its way to local authorities in order to enable them to provide extra support to settings? Hmmmm.....I wonder what that support will be? :o

:o i had a letter from the DCSF today, in reply to the standard NCMA letter I completed

"We are not reducing the amount of subsidy funding. We are transferring the additional fee income to local authorities as part of their childcare sufficiency funding to help them in their new duty under the Childcare Act 2006 to secure sufficient childcare to meet the needs of parents and children in their area. We are simply using the proposed new fee structure to move from a blanket national subsidy, paid irrespective of need, to one where decisions would be made locally about how best to use the money in order to support local need. It will be for local authorities to decide how to use their increased funding to support childcare providers but it is tied in to their new sufficiency duty to secure sufficient suitable childcare for parents in their area to work. We will be working with local authorities to determine how local mechanisms will work to ensure a fair distribution of the subsidy but it is parents' needs which will determinethe support given"

and

"In actual money terms the increase for the Ofsted Childcare Register in 2008 is £83, which even if the full increase is totally passed on to prents would be an increase in the charge of 53pence per week per parent, assuming 3 parents use the childminder"

Hmmm! So I pay the increases and the LA decide whether I'm "suitable" to receive additional subsidy funding OR I pass it on to parents each time it increases - then they can add it to their total childcare costs when applying for WFTC! xD

I have a meeting on Friday with our LEA to find out what our grnt will be for next year. It will be interesting to see what they will incorporate in it to pay for the extra's in the next few years.

will let you all know what ours is going up to

Steph

Thanks Peggy I knew someone would tell me if it had already been covered. Didn't have chance to go searching this site before I posted.

... and sometimes you just need to vent your spleen RIGHT NOW!

Maz

Well our Grant money has gone up to the terrific amount of £8.46 I actually calculated it at £8.45 but one of my colleagues said I should round up and not down xD . At the meeting they hadn't actually done the calculations, so relied on us. Can you believe we managed to get an extra 1p !!!!!! per child because of the rounding up :o:(

Sad when a penny makes a difference :(