Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition To Year 1

Elfy

Hi I'm a teacher in a new foundation unit ( opened in september). We have been asked to write a transition policy primarily concerned with transition from reception to year 1. does anyone have any examples or ideas about what should be included?

Thanks

Elfy

x

I have provided a link to the continuing the learning journey stuff on the dcsf website. Perhaps you could use some of this to inform your policy. Other than that I can't really help - writing a transition policy and an early phonics/reading policy are just two of the things on my never ending to do list :o

Thanks for the replies so far I have followed the links and they seem helpful.

At the moment our reception children only go onto the 'Big Playground' at lunchtime and they only go to the celebration assembly on a wednesday. This hasn't exactly been well received by other members of staff and I feel that the transition policy may be used by some as a way of making the reception class return to doing all playtimes and assemblies in the second half of the summer term in preparation for year 1.

What are peoples thoughts about assemblies and playtimes for reception children in foundation stage units?

Have you looked at the Featherstone book "Smooth Transitions"?

Your Reception children in your unit should stay just that until they are year 1. Plenty of time for them to cope with those other things and something for them to look forward to when they are thta little bit older and more able to cope anyway!

Thanks for the replies so far I have followed the links and they seem helpful.

At the moment our reception children only go onto the 'Big Playground' at lunchtime and they only go to the celebration assembly on a wednesday. This hasn't exactly been well received by other members of staff and I feel that the transition policy may be used by some as a way of making the reception class return to doing all playtimes and assemblies in the second half of the summer term in preparation for year 1.

What are peoples thoughts about assemblies and playtimes for reception children in foundation stage units?

Ignore the others - you are the early years expert! We give our reception classes separate playtimes throughout the year and only attend assemblies when we need to! Year 1 children would be less stressed if they were allowed to be more like reception.

I was really pleased to see this come up on the forum as just this afternoon my EYPS mentor said I ought to have a transition policy for when the pre-schoolers enter reception. I will be able to use this info to get a very good transition plan in place before my final assessment.

Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Thank you for the interesting discussion and information on transition. I am about to start my reseach project on this subject for my dissertation. This was a useful end to a mornings internet reseach.

Edited by Guest

I have nothing useful (or useless!) to add.

Just wanted to extend a warm welcome to both Lorichase and trudicrawley to the Forum.

May your transition to frequent-posting-fully-addicted Forum members be swift and happy! :o

Maz

Guest Wolfie

Hi Trudi and welcome to the forum! One of my colleagues did HER dissertation on transitions, it was really interesting reading for all of us!

• 6 years later...
Guest SarahSausage

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum , im also choosing to cover transitions for my research assignment. I currently work in before and after school club as EYFS coordinator. We run in the school hall and collect the children from their classes, we're trying to improve our service so that we work closely with the school, does anyone else work similarly to this? Some tips would be most welcome

Thanks

sarah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)