Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Art Activity

Hi,

I am due to have an art observation after half term and am looking for inspiration!!

Our topic will be based on growing, although we will also be doing a bit of work on Space, due to things going on at school that week. I really want to use the outdoor area if possible (lovely space with hard area as well as large grassy space with trees). I'd thought of getting the children to take rubbings from all the different surfaces they can find...but don't really know how to start it off or what to do with them afterwards! Maybe make them into planets and stick onto black paper?! (Good job this term has only been 5 weeks - not sure my brain could have coped with any more!! :o )

I'd had another idea of collecting things of different textures to make some kind of display, but haven't convinced myself that any of my ideas are inspiring...so can anyone help?!

Thanks!

purplemagic x

Hi purplemagic

I don't Know if this is any good but you could get paint charts of different shades from the DIY shops B&Q etc.. cut them up, put them in a small bag each child puts their hand into the bag pulls out a colour and then go outside and see if they can find things that match their colour chart. I have done this on a course. Just choose your colours that match the season. You will be surprised what they will find. They could either collect things or take a photo or piant what they have found etc.. I don't know if this is any good. you may come up with another idea or way adapting it. Its just a thought.

Having just read all of the recent posts an idea came to me that you might like to adapt, although you said it was an art based session your ideas seem v cross curricular with KUW etc so..............after reading the post re 3 B goat gruff I thought why don't you explore different textures in outside area for the goats ie rough, smooth include colours etc children can do rubbings, obs drawings etc and are using descriptive lang for CLL links! These could then be made into display art pieces ie as pictures of goats, linking with growth as 3 size goats to stimulate discussion ie why is big goat bigger? to see what children come up with ie eats more, is older etc. This also has unlimited links with MD ( or PSRN!) as you have size related vocab bigger, smallest, taller, shorter etc.............

phew ! need a lie down now, not sure I've helped either!!! hope so!

lisa x

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Purple magic

The colour charts as mentioned is a good bet I have been doing this activity for years and the children love it. You need lots of strips from B&Q of mainly earthy colours greens browns etc

.In pairs give the children a strip and and an egg box....I quickly printed off the words Natures treasures and stuck it on the top of the box.( or if you were to put out other objects for the children to find call it something else)The children have to collect things in the box to match their card.

I am very lucky to have a large tree lined schoool field.

Tinkerbellx

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your ideas...I don't know how you came up with any after reading my first post - what a load of waffle!!!

I'm now thinking of something along the lines of using the paint charts, chn collecting things matching their colours, then trying to make the same shade of paint by putting green, for example, into a small zip-lock bag and adding white/black to make it lighter/darker, or whatever their suggestions to make paint same colour as one of their collected objects (could make for some interesting colours!!), then squidging the bag around to mix their colours. They could then paint a picture of whatever it's supposed to be (e.g. blades of grass) using an implement of suitable size (painting tool or stick or whatever). Does that make sense?! The zip-lock bag painting mixing thing I have borrowed from an idea I found on here, by the way!

Obviously that has nothing to do with textures as a focus, more colours and colour mixing, but it doesn't have to be textures - I'm trying to find something really creative and fun for chn to do because I hate all observations and am particularly hating the thought of this one!

purplemagic x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)