Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Action

At risk of sounding really daft, how do people decide when to put children on school action? I teach in a school nursery class and all our work is differentiated quite closely. For children who find something tricky, say counting, I might take a group of them to have some extra practice playing counting games once a week, but I haven't put these children on school action and 'formalised' this. Partly, I don't want to leap to conclusions when children start nursery as they vary so much in how long it takes them to become confident in the environment and I don't want to unnecessarily frighten parents who I am trying to build a rapport with. In the rest of school the criteria are around children needing extra support, but that's hard to define in a nursery environment when individual needs are what it's all about. Any ideas??

OK, talking out of my **** here, as a NN, but my gut feeling at this age is to leave be, support, but monitor closely and share possible concerns. You're aware, should be all?

Shoot me down in flames, if need be!

Sue :D

I think that certain areas should be considered for school action if concerns remain raised for a term or more, but I don't think that Maths should be one of these areas. PSE, language production and comprehension, and physical development are more important at this stage, and to be aware of difficulties that might lead to school action or action plus. Just my opinion, though! :)

I agree Sue. Children of this age are developing different skills at their own pace. Just because they haven't shown an inclination to do something doesn't mean there is a problem. Development can be delayed for a number of reasons and by merely monitoring and supporting most 'problems' are solved without causing unecessary worry to the parents. :)

Difficult one!

I plead guilty to perhaps letting my heart rule my head but it worked!!

I had a little girl who didnt speak - not a word to staff or peers but mum insisted she chatted at home and was very happy to attend pre-school. She certainly appeared happy, willingly joined in activites but did so in silence.

I made the mistake of trying to encourage her by asking questions that she could not give monosyllabic answers to. Then I chatted away whilst working alongside her but still nothing.

I knew mum would react badly to any suggestion of speech therapy advice etc and because she was such a happy little thing I just bided my time.

I reached the stage where I knew I should do something official and positive but felt to do so would have an adverse effect in that the child would have a over stressed highly strung mum.

I left it over the summer holidays and promised myself I would definitely do something at the beginning of the autumn term. I kept telling myself she spoke at home and I know she did because mum repeated things the child had told her about pre-school.

THe little treasure started the autumn term by giving me a VERBAL account of her holiday - I was delighted and stunned and she hasnt stopped chatting since!

With hindsight I believe it was elective mutism which is a fascinating area to look into if you have time!

For young children just a little slow with counting I personally wouldn't consider school action. Support and monitor of course for now but i tend to think of school action to be more appropriate where there is an overall problem which reflects in all areas of learning like the ones Helen mentioned and of course as someone said they all develop at different rates.

Probably just a prattle by me but never mind!!!

I don't think you have to put chidlren on action plan just bec of their non inlination to perform certain tasks. The whole things about this school system seems to be driven by measurable results and not the holistic picture. Those children may not be ready or mature enought to perform the tasks expected of them . that is not to say they will not be able to do it later on when the time is just right. Is that not the zone of Proxmodial(?)development ZPD and the need to wait till the child is ready to understand and the concept ot scaffolding learning. I have a range of chidlren with different abilities in my nursery ranging form 3 to almost 5's. I have to group them acc to ability for some tasks but give them losts of support through games and play activities so they don't realsie that they are actually 'learning'

HI,

I don't disagree with anything that any of you have already said but if after the support that you are putting in, progress remains slow then you might need to consider school action, I would think.

Of course in the nursery and in Reception where we are working much more to the child and differentiating anyway to meet those needs it is quite difficult to determine when to start the paperwork.

But if the child does have a problem the sooner these are addressed with the relevant paperwork to support your concerns the sooner the child will get support. I'm afraid I would tend to err on the side of caution, it is easy to remove a child from a school action register after all, and does not necessarily mean that you will be seeking outside support rather that you are recording support and monitoring progress.

You should have a SENCO to support you in these decisions.

I am inclined to agree with Susan. I often feel reluctant to put a child on school action when they are very young, but usually we have a gut instinct when things aren't quite right. A child needs two IEP's before moving on to Action Plus. That represents two terms, so if the child has a serious problem they need putting in place straight away so that they can get the necessary support sooner raher than later.

How good it feels when a child can come off the register - a job well done and a successful child!

I agree, but the difference is having a gut instinct about'a child' and having a group that is unable to achieve. Some children just need time and space to get concepts and I guess the difference is in recognising a child with special needs and chidlren who may not yet be ready to grasp some concepts. Not everybody matures at the same time or at the same rate and there will be individual differences between chidlren.

Absolutely Leo and it is with the knowledge that you have of the child and as teacher that allows you to see that the child is not responding/ making appropriate progress and in turn that informs you of the necessity to put school action into play.

I tend to have far fewer children in my class on school action than other teachers! possibly because of the way I work and the demands I make of the children. (FSas opposed to NC). and I am very reluctant to implement those that I do until their 3rd term in school. On the other hand some children shout at you within a very weeks that alternative provision is going to be required. Its very much a question of the whole child isn't it?

On reflection, Horeschestnut, if you have concerns you should speak to the Senco and seek advice as to the best way forward. This should not be your burden.

Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)