Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help No Children

Hi,

Just have to say to someone I work in sessional pre-school at the moment the most children we have in per session is 9. Don't think we can manage any longer than Easter. We have tried everything we can think of to get more children but the hours are the problem. Do I carry on regardless and hope it gets better or leave a sinking ship?

I am deputy but have changed all the planning to the way it should be and provided all the forms I think we should have, as it was ran on topics, and now she thinks it would be better if it was ran on topics but really we need to listen to the parents and take into account their views, but then it was said why should they tell me what to do. I am too old to get another job I have worked here for 7 years and it has ran for 25 years but has slowly decreased in numbers in the last four years. I can now see the bottom of the wine bottle.

im sorry to here things are bad. we too are short for our am session of 2-3s the lowest for a few years but we also run a wrap around for school nursery and this is busy. I think we will struggle next year . we have always diversified to stay afloat taking in 2yr olds offering wraparound could you do that? have you got a sustainability officer in your early years department? we have one that can help with grants to stay afloat give them a ring.

sue

Hi there

I work at a small rural sessional pre-school and we have had a dreadful year. We started off with maybe 4 in a session but numbers have grown as we started taking children from 2 years but I have to say we are now full that is to say we have 10 children which with the way our ratio works, as only 2 staff work together per day. We are now able to take on another member of staff (thank goodness!) so as we can take more children too.

Taking the 2 year olds has really opened up the doors for us, is this an avenue you could investigate?

I bet you're not too old really. Age has loads of advantages over youth! I wont write all the advantages here though, it would take forever!! xD

Lots of settings have dips in numbers, luckily most come out of it intact.

The bit about listening to parents, I'm not clear on that, does the manager not want to be told what to do by them? Point out to her its a case of working in partnership with them, not battling against them. You all want the best for the children.

What is the problem with the hours? Can they not be changed or added to?

Hope the wine didnt leave you feeling too worse for wear :o

Your planning sounds good to me. Perhaps this person (your supervisor?) lacks confidence in speaking with parents and is defensive. As already mentioned, we need to try to work in partnership with parents. Something, our setting is looking at. Attitudes to which vary!

We had a year of low numbers last year but are nearly full this year, so it can fluctuate.

Can you offer lunch clubs or other extended hours?

Can you ask your early years advisor for help?

Don't give up, early years need you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)