Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby Names

Hello! We have this week, found out what we are having and are now struggling for baby names! With Natalie it was easy. She was Natalie from the time I found out she was a girl but this time it is really hard. We had a boys name sussed from the word go, but a girls name was really difficult. It seems we are not compatible when it comes to name choices :( . If you don't wan't to know what it is, look away now because I am going to leave a space and then tell you, so you can contribute your favourite baby names to help us decide! Ready....?

It's a boy!!! :oxD:(

We are both really pleased to be having one of each, although Natalie is most upset. She wanted a sister and apparently 'hates boys' :( . Oh well, she also hates our few suggestions, my favourite being Daniel, although Edward and Oliver are others we have briefly considered.

So what boys names would you suggest? There are lots of 'e's in the surname and names like Liam tend to rhyme with it (although Liam is one of Simon's favourites lol). The middle name will definately be Simon though, as Natalie has Clare as a middle name.

Hi Clare

I was in a similar situation, strange small rhyming surname too! The only name we could both agree on for a boy was Finn! But he was nearly 1 week old when we decided and had been thrashing it out for the whole nine months!

This time we had a girl, were set on a name (Ruby) then Charlotte Church had her daughter 7 days before us and called hers Ruby! We scurried around to change it and eventually a close friend offered up Poppy. We didn't look back. We loved it!

Shiny

Congratulations Claire :o

As the mother of 3 boys and first daughter in law to produce grandson when mother in law had had 7 boys we were struggling to find name s we liked that hadnt been used.

At the moment Ted seems to be in lots of babies being born round us Hugh,Hugo,James i like Jack and Sam.How exciting cant wait for my grandchildren. xD

Congratulation!!! My favorite boys name is Joseph! At pre-school there seems to be a growing trend for the older names. We have a Stan, Freddie, Alfie and Archie? any good? :o

jx

Congratulations.......choosing a name for my 3rd was a nightmare...after about 10 days we decided on Christopher.

My friend who's son has just turned one is called Jobi.

I've got a nephew called Elliot - always liked that name! My friend has two little boys called Ethan and Lucas, they seem to be popular names at the moment. If our daughter had been a boy she would have been Nicholas, which would have been shortened to Nick as he got older. We've got a James Daniel - when he was born, we couldn't decide which way round to have the two names...I thought we HAD decided by the time my husband left the hospital to get some sleep so when the regsitrar came round, I regsitered him James Daniel. When my husband came back, he said "So, what's it to be?".....oooops! :o

Congratulations Clare.

Well my favourite boys name has to be my son's Ellis :(

My grandsons are Ben (surname Bean), and T.J. (Tony John)

Mind you I do like Frankie, Anthony (my sons middle name), Dylon, Archie and Alfie, and of course my hubby Dave ( or David).

Apparently I read the other day that Dave tops the list of names of men with high intellegence, it seems that your name can indicate intellegence levels :oxD:(

Peggy

Congratulations Claire, very exciting news.

I love the name Oliver, but then I'm biased because that's my son's name. Also like Joe, Luke and Joshua, oh and Sebastian but I don't know anyone else that does! Whatever you choose you have to like the shortened version.

Love Posy

Peggy I was going to say Ellis. :o

We have a little boy at school called this and Ithink it sounds lovely.

I think with boys you have to be more careful as some names can sound very feminine, girls names are so much easier as they can be unusual.

My son is called Craig and I still think it sounds great although when I had him my husband wanted to call him Richard, I didnt but thought if he felt so strongley about it Id let him. Anyway a couple of hours later my hubby said "hows tricky Dicky", I soon changed it to my choice.

You also have to be careful it fits in with your surname. My daughters married name is Head and it took her ages to find something that sounded right and wasnt Richard. Ill let you work it out.

Congratulations on your great news xD and im sure any name you choose will be lovely.

My son is called: KIERAN

How about this one: Chaunce (said Chance).

Thomas, Ben, Dylan, Sebastien, Alex, Bailey, Aaron, Joshua, Timothy, George, Ashley, Tony.

Enjoy choosing. :o

I like the older classic names for boys and I do think its harder as girls do change their names, boys have them for life.My dad gave me and my sister the shortest first names he liked as we had a very long surname but I've become a 3 letter surname by marriage :( so my name is 6 letters in total.

I have to say my name choices are influenced by children I have had in class so at the moment please don't call him Jordan, Keiran or Aaron xD

I've always had nice Thomas's and the baby I was a nanny for was called Thomas-well he had 6 names but Thomas was the one he was known by :( and a long standing hate is Daniel as they made bad boyfriends :(

Watch out for initials as well.

We'd settled on Nathan for our eldest (but she was a girl) until one day at a carboot a woman bellowed NNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAA...(pause for breath)....TTHHAN :o then we weren't sure.

The second daughter would have been Craig-as it was she was Natasha for 6 weeks then became a Laura.

Awww congratuations Clare, can't think of any names yet. :o I recently discovered that one of my friends is having a baby (or 2) but she looks bigger than she should be for her weeks, so eaither she is futher than she is or its twins. xD

Beth

:o Good luck with it and i agree that certain names remind me of particular children we've had over the years, so noooooooooo to those!!

When I was born, my parents decided on the name Linda for me and dad went off to register me, but came back with the certificate with a totally different name on it.he presented the certificate to mum, who said, ' that's not how you spell Linda'...and he said 'no, but it's how you spell ******** and thats what we've called her'......he didn't try it when my sister was born!!! My name means 'blinded by love' and i like to think that's why he changed my name from Linda to what it actually is ! :)

Don't you have to register the birth within four weeks?? How did you get round that one??

My children are adopted so we were choosing names from being 'approved' until they were placed which in the case of the eldest was 7 months so we had roughly the same amount of time as any 'expectant' parents :o .Name selection was one of the few things we had in common with other expectant parents .I don't feel qualified to join in discussions pregnancy or birth only the early stages from experience xD

The second wait was for 2 1/2 years and we were about to withdraw so our social worker informed us a child had been approved to be placed with us but legal proceedings were taking longer than expected.It was 6 weeks before we met her and we had decided on Natasha calling her that when we spoke of her and to prepare Beth for a sister but when we met her she just wasn't a Natasha, second choice was Grace but her foster mother said she wasn't one of those either and its been so true.She can fall over fresh air and has always been like a a newly born foal.

Because we had already decided to keep whatever their birth names were as middle names we came up with a choice of 5 girls and 5 boys name each time so we could make a good combination.

Congratulations!

I have a real problem if we ever have a boy! Joe has a massive family and all the names I like are some of his close relatives and I don't want to name them after one of them or even have people think that's why they have that name! Also having taught a few naughty boys certain names are also out!

There is also the problem of certain names not working with our surname!

Here are the boys names I love (most of which I can't have!)

Nathan, Daniel, Andrew, Alex, Ciaran,

Hi - well my favourite name has to be Joseph, because my son is called Joseph. His middle name is Frank because I have known 3 men called Frank and they were all very kind, gentle, men and I thought that it was a fitting tribute to them .. and hopefully some of their lovely nature would rub off on my son!

I think boys names are harder than girls, and I tend to like traditional/ biblical ones: Isaac ( which would be my choice if I had to name another boy!), Jacob, Zachary, Alfie (because of the beautiful books by Shirley Hughes!), Archie, Frank. There's probably loads more, but they never come to mind at the appropriate time.

congratulations!

I have a little boy called Oliver (Ollie) and when ever asked people always say they love that name. I love having a boy they are so cuddly, loving and funny!!

Best wishes

Munch

ooh so many pitfalls in choosing a name

watch the initials do they spell a word or sound odd,

the shortened version is it OK,

Does it go with the surname

And one we didn't think about same initials in one family..... with two MR A.xxxxxx in our house... oops whose mail is it? Who are they wanting to speak to on the phone?

Our son said he was always pleased to have a name no one else had. (Adrian) he said it was so much better as some of his friends became known by their surnames only as several had the same Christian name in his class.

(Must admit to total confusion one year when we had 4 Thomas and 3 Joseph in one session! And just to add to it 2 Niamh and 2 Chloe!! )

So good luck and let us know the choice...

Sometimes when you see them a name just fits.

Inge

Awww, thanks for all your ideas! We have a middle name already sorted, Simon, partly because it is daddy's name and also because like you say Gail, it's not a very common one now. I tend to like the more uncommon names. Everything else, I tend to associate with children at work!

I'm quite impatient so don't think I will be able to wait and see what/who he looks like! The name thing is driving me mad because now I know he is a boy, I don't want to call him 'bump' or 'bean' anymore!

Guest MaryEMac

Congratulations Clare,

Howabout Andrew (my son), Jake (my grandson) Kameron, William, Oliver, Callum, Luke. Let us know what you decide.

Mary

Hi Clare

I'd like to add my support for Edward! But of course I am biased as my middle son is called Edward, shortened to Ed sometimes.

I liked the name when I was pregnant with him but I was not 100 percent as it seemed a bit grown up for a baby but when he was born it seemed to fit and I have loved it ever since. It is classical, strong but gentle, and not too many of them about.

The more I say it and think about, Edward is fast becoming a favourite! Like you say Deb, there doesn't seem to be many little Edward's about and I have only ever worked with one and he was the most gorgeous little boy. His name was shortened to Ted.

Jake was our first choice when I was pregnant with Natalie but we never got to use it. We now now quite a few little ones called Jake.

Will have to keep my thinking cap on!