Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do Ofsted Give Settings Any Clues?

bubblejack

I did hear a rumour - it might have been on here - that all settings were being inspected before March in preparation for the new framework coming in? I'm not sure of the rationale for that or whether it's no more than a rumour...but I heard it somewhere!

Edited by Wolfie

I think its a rumour, think of the logistics involved in visiting everyone by March!

If you're due on then you're due one, otherwsie I cant see how they can justify coming again if its only been say a year.

Not that I know, perhaps I have it wrong, but where are all the additional inspectors coming from if they could achieve this?

I havn't heard of any change to the usual cycle of inspections and agree that it would be impossible to carry out. All I know is that if you are due an inspection before september you will be inspected on the old standards and if you are due to be inspected after September you will be inspected on the new.

I was told there were spot checks being done by ofsted in our area one setting having 3 inspectors arrive for a day 3 months after there previous inspection not sure how true it is

sue

I've also heard that all the inspectors are only having one day's training to prepare them for inspecting the EYFS. That came from Marion Dowling, who sits on all sorts of advisory bodies and government committees, so it's more than a rumour.

xD Thanks for that ladies....just when I thought I had another 2 years to go and they could be waiting for me in the morning!!!

Oh well, We have nothing to hide :o Does this mean that I should be using the new framework then and not the old one...have not really been told anything different. Only just come off a briefing and not even looked through pack properly yet....that I only got the other week!!!

I have heard that all inspections under the present regime will end in March in order for inspectors to be trained. The new inspections will start in September and even if you have been inspected recently you could be one of the first under the EYFS.

Linda

Guest sandcastles

my mum is owner of a nursery and was informed by her area early years support teacher that their is a high chance that she will get a visit from ofsted by march as they are then doing the training for EYFS. she is not due another ofsted for at least a year but the teacher said it is highly likely that she will have an inspection before the changes are in place.

I think it's crazy - why inspect a setting again if it's not due??? Ofsted inspectors often complain about their workload -this just seems to piling more work on them for the sake of it! I'd like to hear the rationale behind it all!

Guest cathy m

My understanding is that Ofsted have to catch up with everyone by March, who has not been inspected under the current inspection cycle i.e the four grades and the ECM outcomes. (Ofsted told me this) They are due EYFS training themselves after this inspection cycle ends in march

I had my inspection 2 weeks ago after 3 years

Cathy

Thanks everyone so I shall carry on as normal thinking to-day could be the day then maybe again in September??????? My second question is do Ofsted phone the week before. We have quite a bit going on this term, health visitors and assessors visits, mothers day concert and EYFS training.

They do not give any clues whatsoever to pre-schools and day nurseries. Schools get a call the week before (on a Thursday, I believe) and childminders are phoned the week before to discuss which days they will be in.

At least, that's my understanding! We certainly had no notice, the week before last, although we'd been expecting it all year :o

Sue

At our recent inspection the inspector said to me that they were soooo behind and trying to play catch up before March on all the remaining settings due an inspection.

He said they needed to finish the B23 and FS inspections before March in order to train for September inspections.

It intimated that no-one would get an inspection before there alloted timescale as they were so behind. In Somerset our inspection was 3 years 10 months! - only 10 months of terror! xD:(:o

Hiya,

we are awaiting an inspection as its nearing the end of the first 6 months of being under new ownership.

however we have heard on the grapevine that ofsted have a backlog and won't be inspecting till april (how true this is i don't know) I think we are probably in that backlog LOL... saying that we got a good last in september 2006 and the management / staffing has not changed just the ownership.

at the end of the day i tend to forget about them coming. I know that we are doing the best we can for the children, the environment is lovely and the staff enthused, everyone seems happy, and you could drive yourself mad thinking about when they may come.

so whenever they come, we probably won't be ready... there would always be something we feel we should maybe do differently. so my philosophy is not to stress about it. LOL

Dawn