Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Peter Pan And Pirates

Hi everyone,

I have been away for a while- back now- missed you all loads. I have been really busy with work and family stuff.

Anyway, i am doing a topic on pirates next term and i am thinking of Peter Pan with my foundation stage class- anyone got any brilliant ideas for this- I like to prepare well ahead- sad person that I am. Thank you in advance.

Hi there again- just replied to new year resolutions- a bit late- no regrets!!

Are there any topics anyone needs help with- I would love to share some of my own resources with you all.

Here's hoping you can help with this one!

Cant help at the moment I'm afarid, I have a lad at one of the nurseries who loves pirates and I've been trying to think of things for him. If I think of any resources or find any I'll let you know. :o

I attended my LA's trining for the EYFS a couple of weeks ago and on the CD rom there is a child with an interest in pirates (think it is under the sustained shared thinking of 4.3 creativity and critical thinking, but not sure! :o ). We then completed a PLOD for him covering all of the areas, this involved:

Map making, then using bebot toys on them,

Map in bottles (child showed signs of enclosure schema)

small world

large construction items- walking plank

music and movement to pirate music

water with glitter and treasures in

sand with buried treasure

treasure hunt with clues

Hope this is useful!!

Essc

Just off the top of my head, (not the hats, the ideas!!)

Making hats peter pan type and pirate. Eye patches

Boats floating/sinking.

My children were give a lovely little usborne book pirate activity book which had treasure chests to make, golden coin activities, making daggers and cutlasses (might not want to do that one!), money bags, telescope, flags, ship's rats, water pictures using wax to create waves, then sticking pictures of ships, floating barrels, pirate finger puppets.

The ideas could carry on but its lunch time.

We use The Pirate Song and follow the actions in a pirate dance

When I was one,

I banged my drum.

The day I went to sea.

I jumped aboard a pirate ship,

And the captain said to me.

We're going, this way, that way,

Forwards and backwards,

Over the Irish Sea.

A bottle of rum, to warm my tum,

And that's the life for me.

When I was two,

I buckled my shoe.....

When I was three,

I banged my knee....

When I was four,

I knocked on the door....

When I was five,

I learned to dive....

This year my class made their own pirate ship(totally child initiated) outdoors using a wooden (Community Playthings) climbing frame they found in the garage. A sweeping brush taped to the tower with a piece of white fabric for the sail and a paper Jolly Roger. Cardboard tubes from the DT area were telescopes. I have some pictures if I can hunt them out.

we have a plastic boat shaped sand tray that we put pirate costumes and treasure in we used hockey sticks for oars and the older children made spy glass (sorry the real name escapes me) from tubes beware of sittig in it being short and fat didnt help me get out very funny for children and staff.

also did face paint one afternoon lots of scars very exciting

early learning do pirate figures and ships we had a ship donated and bought some more figures very good in a little water on a tough spot.

dress as Wendy to tell great stories to the lost boys ask other members of staff to dress up and tell pirate stories

draw chalk islands on the floor to escape croc the children avoid the islands until they hear tic toc then jump on we have done this with a child being a shark before it may work ours liked it.

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone,

I have been away for a while- back now- missed you all loads. I have been really busy with work and family stuff.

Anyway, i am doing a topic on pirates next term and i am thinking of Peter Pan with my foundation stage class- anyone got any brilliant ideas for this- I like to prepare well ahead- sad person that I am. Thank you in advance.

Hi

Probably too late now but I have just completed a pirate theme. Class Teddy was kidnapped by pirates, he left a message in the water tray as to his whereabouts. Children plotted this on a map, and during CLL they replied. The process continued all week - lots of creative writing from my reception children! Mapping skills were developing too. KUW - Wendy (Peter Pan) was going to walk the plank but couldn't swim so we taped a ruler to the edge of the water tray and tried to find objects which teddy could use to float on by dropping them off the plank into the water tray. We used our treasure maps to find out how much treasure Captain Hook could hide on our islands - problem solving, differentiated by using different sized bricks.

Sue

Hi

Probably too late now but I have just completed a pirate theme. Class Teddy was kidnapped by pirates, he left a message in the water tray as to his whereabouts. Children plotted this on a map, and during CLL they replied. The process continued all week - lots of creative writing from my reception children! Mapping skills were developing too. KUW - Wendy (Peter Pan) was going to walk the plank but couldn't swim so we taped a ruler to the edge of the water tray and tried to find objects which teddy could use to float on by dropping them off the plank into the water tray. We used our treasure maps to find out how much treasure Captain Hook could hide on our islands - problem solving, differentiated by using different sized bricks.

Sue

Opps I mean .....objects Wendy could use to float on - Teddy was still captured at this point!

Sue

• 1 year later...

Definately too late now but for other people like me - searching for ideas and using old posts.....

How about searching for treasure (beginning with a particular letter or gems with a letter sound on), panning for gold, digging for treasure (sand tray), pirate boats with numbers on the bottom, spin spinner find correct/matching boat, making silver coins (card covered in foil) and writing numbers on them to give them a value, you can then these to add up, message in a bottle, making up pirate names, learning pirate phrases, sing up.org have a pirate song available to download with music, backing music and words, pirate ship biscuits or jolly roger biscuits, maps with beebots, treasure chests with items in that are special to them (PSHE), treasure chests (creative development). Cbeebies has jackanory junior has a pirate setting and character section.

Hope this helps.

Isabel :o

Definately too late now but for other people like me - searching for ideas and using old posts.....

How about searching for treasure (beginning with a particular letter or gems with a letter sound on), panning for gold, digging for treasure (sand tray), pirate boats with numbers on the bottom, spin spinner find correct/matching boat, making silver coins (card covered in foil) and writing numbers on them to give them a value, you can then these to add up, message in a bottle, making up pirate names, learning pirate phrases, sing up.org have a pirate song available to download with music, backing music and words, pirate ship biscuits or jolly roger biscuits, maps with beebots, treasure chests with items in that are special to them (PSHE), treasure chests (creative development). Cbeebies has jackanory junior has a pirate setting and character section.

Hope this helps.

Isabel :o

Thanks for those ideas Isabel - I'll add them to my pirate file for future reference. well done on making such a fabulous first post. Welcome to the site.

Harricroft

• 9 months later...
Hi everyone,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)