Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading

Hi all

I know this topic has been raised before but i was wondering what you all did with regards to guided reading Do you do it if you do what do you do. My children are in reception and all started in spet

Hi,

I have done guided reading with my class since November - class split into 4 groups (about 4 or 5 in each group, only have small class) and my TA and I each have a group, then swap and have another group one morning each week. Do 20 mins per group. We have Rigby Star guided reading books, which are good but some books not phonic based enough. I know that phonics isn't the be all and end all of reading, but I feel that early on children need to have books to sound out as that is the skill we are drumming into them!

Anyway, I was thinking today that getting children to read words, captions and sentences as part of phonics (we do Letters and Sounds), they are also getting guided reading each day too (I do my phonics in small groups).

I started guided reading in januaury when all children were in full time, we tend to work it so a group reads with me and the previosu days groups reads with the TA. We don't all stop and do related activities as we have a pre school on the room as well and its not appropriate.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)