Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonic Groups Across R And Ks1

In my LA the advisors are pushing the teaching of the daily phonics session in ability groups across classes. I have been asked to set this up as part of my performance mangement. I was just wondering if those people who have tried this could give me any potential issues arising from this and anything you would have done differently when you first started this approach.

We are probably going to have 7 or 8 groupings across 3 classes (R, Year One and poor ability Year 2). Obviously the timetabling and space and resourcing issues are going to have to be ironed out but was wondering more about the planning, assessing and keeping track of all children. Also, what happens to those children who have prgressed through phase one but still are unable to blend and segment - i.e. unable to progress through Phase 2 - do they still have a daily phonics sessions and if so what does is consist of? Additionally do you use a commercial scheme (have been looking at the Ruth Miskin which looks great but would have major cost implications) or are you going directly from Letters and Sounds.

Have a meeting with new Head on Thursday to iron out some details so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

progression of the teaching prgramme would be my major concern. Ensuring age related expectations are clearly understood so chn are not marking time just to be in a group where there's space. Ultimately you could end up with most R chn in the phase 3 group and noone in the phase 2 group. As you are starting in yrR teaching should start at phase 2.

I went on some training from my LEA the other week and asked the question- 'what about the children who have completed phase 2, know all the letter sounds and names but struggle with blending and segmenting?" my adviser said to move them on to phase 3 as they will continue to get experience/practise of blending and segmenting.

This week I have just started doing my phonics in groups. We do the 'revisit' and 'teach' parts all together, then my 2 TA's take a group each for the practise/apply part. As I am the only one in my school to trial this I do all the planning for all 3 groups and preparation. Something I have learnt already is- do the same activity with each group but with different/more/less words.

I've only done it in groups for a couple of sessions but it is well worth it- it really allows you to focus in on those who struggle and strech those who are doing well- something that with 32 reception children is a little difficult!!

I have no idea if that makes sense or is at all helpful!!

we too have been told to group children to aid progression but i have kept this groupings to just my class, using my t.a. to support me i have 4 groups i teach two my ta teaches two we start with phonics in morning with two groups whilst two groups do child initiated writing activities white boards black boads playdough letters sand trays etc My t.a is teaching from my planning from september going over it again for low ability group in morning(we have only split groups since christmas) i teach average group in morning, t.a then teaches average group in afternoon following my morning planning and i take on the high ability group in the afternoon sounds complicated but isnt the hardest thing is keeping the children who are playing away from us as we work in our groups super when i have a third adult or parent handy

i think changing it has refocused me to my descrete teaching time i was getting bit lazy and not as focused jus before christmas and know i wasn't stimulating all children now i feel enthused and so do the children

the hardest thing i am now finding is encouraging the children to use all their knowledge they show in apply times in their independent writng

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)