Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing/displaying Planning

Hi,

I am a Foundation Stage leader and our playgroup has been told they need to show that they use the birth to 3 matters document and let parents know what is in the planning. Does anyone have any good ideas on how they can do this? The building has a small cloakroom when you walk in that I thought the planning could be displayed on for parents to see. What else could go up there to show the parents what is going on and what the children are doing? Also do you have set times for parents to speak with key workers? Or a parents evening?

Any ideas in these areas would be much appreciated!

I know one group that created a display around the four aspects of Birth to Three - they divided their display area into four sections, backing each section with a colour corresponding to one of the four aspects...with me so far?! Then they titled each area - A competent learner, etc. - and displayed photos of the children at activities promoting that particular aspect.

It was a very effective display and got the parents involved..initally to see if their children were in the photos but then the staff made the most of the opportunity to talk to them about what was going on in the photos.

Depending on who recommended this, and if you are due an inspection, I wouldn't spend ages on unpacking BTTM for the parents as it will all change by September. We used the BTTM poster and put up some footprint shapes on which we wrote 'change is afoot' and then put up the EYFS poster. We added photos with arrows showing where the activity fitted into the new framework and emphasised 'learning through play'. The photos drew the parents attention to the display, there were lots of questions which a member of staff was happy to answer at dropping off and collection times. Don't forget that planning in BTTM is largely retrospective, so starting with the child, showing them engaged in an activity in a photo and unpacking the learning that can be seen taking place is a very good place to start!

Hi

we use lots of photographs of the children around the areas and place short, non jargon, captions on the board that explain what the photo's show. our main emphasis on the parents board is ' how our environment supports us' (environment being indoor, outdoor, home, mealtimes etc...) with captions. this works well for us as we plan around our environment, and of course the children.... it then naturally seems to link into birth to three matters.

we do not display the poster in the pack, do we have to?

Dawn

It was a very effective display and got the parents involved..initally to see if their children were in the photos but then the staff made the most of the opportunity to talk to them about what was going on in the photos.

Ah Wolfie: parental education by stealth - always the most effective route!

Love the idea of this as a display - might tweak it for the EYFS....

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)