Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children Centres Teacher Induction Pack

mundia

Oooh, where shall I start??

Much more about Children's Centre policy and practice as a whole - the core offer, the background and role of the other professionals in post and where my role fits into that, the lead partner, etc.etc.

I'll come back to this thread as I think of more things....... :o

please do wolfie, I have a list too, not least of which is working with under 3s, which most teachers wont have experience of, job descriptions, who manages the role and employs the staff, what difficulties there are when the CC is attached to a school, how your role links with EYATS or teacher support..etc etc

In our authority, the Early Years advisory team have set up termly meetings as a support forum for all CCTs - those meetings are a real lifeline!

Yes, working with the Under 3s is a big issue.

The one place that I've found does the best courses for CCTs is Early Excellence in Huddersfield. There's a two day course run there every term about the role of the CCT, run by Marion Dowling, and I think that that course should form part of CCTs induction.

Talking of which, I'm off there tomorrow...... :o

• 2 weeks later...
I am part of a team working on developing an induction pack for CC teachers. Those of you in post, what do you wish you had really known before you started and as you settled in to the job?

Thanks

Hi Mundia,

I have just received a call from a former Birmingham Children's Centre Teacher who has gone to work in Rochdale since Christmas.

She sounds so excited and enthusiastic!

She says that she now is clear about her role, she feels a valued member of the CC team and has been offered all necessary training and information, including a middle management course, EYFS and a CCTeacher's course with Marion Dowling. She works as part of a cluster of C.C's and had a senior teacher advising and supervising a group of about 10 teachers. They have regular meetings and support sessions where they exchange information and ideas. She is going to send me the details, but she says the contrast is amazing. She says that many of the teachers are ex heads or ofsted inspectors and are very highly thought of and respected in the centres.

She works alongside a manager and is responsible when the manager is away so other staff are clear about her role and status as well. She is not on the Centre rotas but is given the same status and expectations as the other managers.

I wish I could say that my experiecne has been similar, but it is wonderful to think that there is hope for the future. I look forward to receiving your ides about the induction pack and will pass on her information when I receive it.

• 2 months later...

Hello, hope I can get this reply to you safely, as I am newly registered today! My colleague and I job-share a CCT role, and if we hadn't had each other we would have given up by now! Under 3s is a huge issue for us, along with job descriptions of course! Wish we had had an induction pack when we started in September. Will look forward with great interest to seeing how you get on.

Hello Wendywoods and welcome on board.

This is one of those very elusive projects that seems to go off at full steam ahead only to stop and probably even go backwards!

Even something as simple (!!) as getting a full list of Children's centres and their teachers is proving tricky!

Guess we will get there one day!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I hope it's not too late to join in the discussion -as I have been in post for 3 whole weeks I thought I'd take a moment to reflect....I agree totally about a brief intoduction to CCs , how they work and are managed and how each other role relates to CC teacher etc. Coming from a school background, it's a whole new vocabulary! The 0-3 issue is obviously a big one for most of us. Time management is another one, coming from a highly structured working day to a much more flexible one. If I think of anything else I'll add it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)