Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child With Cerebral Palsey

Hi guys, I'm after any tips people have.

I have just started working with a 2 yr old with C.P. He has a walker but refuses to take steps with it so you need to move his feet. If you support his wieght under his arms he will happily walk without it. But I need to encourage him to do it for himself - any ideas!!

Also general tips if you have any would be great. He is a lovely chap, full of fun and I want him to get as much as possible from his time with us.

He has problems using his hands so if anyone has any advise on encouraging opening the fingers and using the hand that would be fab.

Thanks in anticipation .

Sal

For his hands, lots of dough, finger painting, sponge painting, water play, sand, all the usual stuff.

Walking - Maybe he feels a bit insecure without the feel of an adult holding him, has he had the walker long? Could you hold him gently while he uses the walker just for a bit of support? What about some stamping rymes, would he hold onto it while he stood? It might help him to get used to it.

There have been some discussions beofre about CP you can find them here :o

Thanks for that Rea,

he has had his walker a while, but doesn't get much oppotunity to use it as it takes up a lot of room at home and isn't brilliant on carpets. i think it's a matter of reminding him how to use it and building up his arm strength.

Thanks again

Sal

Does he get support from the physiotherapy and occupational health service? If so they will be able to advice you on the best course of action.

For his hands stress balls, using large tweezers to pick up smallish objects, clothes pegs etc (the type of things you use for fine motor activities) a tip from our OT is not to place things in the child's hand but ensure they have to reach out to get them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)