Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Afl

This is my first post on the forum... just read everone else's before. I am trying to get my head around Afl too. I presume we are talking about the same thing? Assessment for learning? all the info I have seen is very KS1/2 although have seen a few ideas for implementing in reception and nursery. I will keep a look out. Maybe someone out there has some good ideas.

Annabel

This is my first post on the forum... just read everone else's before. I am trying to get my head around Afl too. I presume we are talking about the same thing? Assessment for learning? all the info I have seen is very KS1/2 although have seen a few ideas for implementing in reception and nursery. I will keep a look out. Maybe someone out there has some good ideas.

Annabel

Hello Annabel, I haven't got a clue about afl, but just wanted to say well done for your first post, good to see you've had a read around and wish you a warm welcome to the forum :o

Peggy

Hi Annabel and welcome. Glad to see Ive prompted you into posting after such a long silence!! :o

Yes, I am talking about assessment for learning so shall read your link with interest wolfie, thanks.

Anyone else??

Well as I see it we have been doing this type of thing in good early years practice for many years. We plan for the children according to their needs. We interact and we observe how the children are learning and we then decide what intervention we need to make to take the learning on.

In a nutshell assessment for learning.

I have attended training with Alastair Smith and at the end of the day I was delighted that I wouldn't need to change.

So don't get caught up in jargon or in being bamboozled into having to do what KS1 and KS2 are doing. If you plan from your knowledge of the children, if you scaffold learning when you are playing, if you resource your environment to meet the needs of your children, if you develop shared sustained thinking and enable children to problem solve you are well ahead!

Susan - the early years have been using AfL for ever, it's the rest of education that's caught up with us again!! :oxD

Just carry on assessing from observation, planning what the next steps are and then evaluating the outcomes through observation around and around and voila! AfL.

It's also formative assessment in old money. (See out of the black box etc) Poor old KS1 and 2 are stuggling with the idea of not having "assessment weeks" at the end of a QCA unit where they test every child to death so they needed a fancy schmancy name to get them into the programme.

I HATE the concept of assessment weeks. I march around our LA saying" but how can you have assessment week in the FS - every day is assessment day" The practitioners laugh, the subject coordinators roll their eyes and the heads look a bit perplexed. I'll get there eventually!!

Cx

If you are successfully using this strategy can you tell me how, please?

I am still struggling to put this into place!!! I'm missing something, somewhere!

Helloo!

The way that I do afl is : (don't know if this is right)

1.I tell the chn the learning intention at the beginning of the 'session' (eg To learn to reconise a new vowel digraph 'ai')

2.then i'll tell them the success critieria which is differentiated acording to each group('you will say the correct sound when i show you the digraph and blend/segment a word that has that digraph in it!')

3.If they are successful they will stick their named arrow on the phonic target (available on sparklebox)

4.If they were not successful i tell them their target eg more practise usually!

This sounds horrific for a wee 4 year old, but it doesnt take much time and they all seem to like sticking themselves on target. They are also also more able to remember what they have learned!

And yes I agree... We're assessing by the minute compared to KS1 n 2. I suppose the target is for the children's benefit (and any other nosey AFL people!) Hope this is of some use...

Moo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)