Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds Of Jolly Phonics?

Hello - Im a Nursery teacher and I'm confused! This year we have been planning for phase one of the letters and sounds document. I really love the activities and feel that the children respond really well. This time last year I started Jolly Phonics with the children but now feel confused as to whether to do the same? I suppose I'm wondering what other Nursery teachers do? Our recpetion use Jolly Phonics but I'm not sure whether I need to? Do you think it's beneficial for the children going into reception toprevious experience of JP?

Hi

Our reception teach Jolly phonics and after moving to the nursery I hace continued to use them, not in such a formal way. During snack time our children sit at tables, as many have never sat at a table, and we always talk about the snack and what phonemes they begin with. the children love the actions, the head likes it and even the early years advisor has sat at snack and joined in!

Iam Deputy manager of a day nursery and have been looking at ways in which we can introduce

more phonics to the children.

I would be interested in what Jolly phonics are? and how i can use them with our children ?

Can anyone help??x

Bubbles, look at this.

Littlemisssunshine, you need to decide in school what they want you to do but there is no reason why you cant start jolly phonics, it works well alongside letters and sounds and phase 1 activities can and should run concurrently.

Catma has some good advice here

Thanks Susan!

I think there is some confusion over the sematics when we say "I do" jolly phonics - be clear whether you are just using the JP mnemonics as a teaching strategy to introduce phonemes whilst the scheme you are using is L+S, OR are you actually following the JP programme from start to finish as laid down by the JP people. I think we create confusion otherwise.

Cx

We use JP in nursery (just started it with this years intake) and its followed on by reception and year 1. We are doing the L+S suggested order.When the children go to reception they do a fast track catch-up programme with children arriving from other settings that have not me it.It's usually no more than 6 out of 30. You may find this helpful.

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/story-sack-JOLLY...000000000928112

We are about to start phase one of letters and sounds on a 7 week rolling program but having used Jolly Phonics for the last 2 and half years see no reason to stop. We generally focus on a letter every other week and the children dip in and out of it according to their ability. Each September we start at the begining again and as you will realise we never get through all the letters. However this is how our F2 staff wanted us to do it and I have to say that nearly all our children (and they are not high fliers) realise that letters have a sound. It might not be the right one- often isn't till they see the picture prompt but it's a start which they can then build on in F2.

Anne

Hi,

We use Jolly Phonics and have done for the past year. We do it very informally and the children love them. Today during register I had all the children knowing the phonic sounds for their names as well as their peers names, days of the week, weather words etc.

We also use number lines when counting the children and recently started using it to add the children and adults in the room. Again all done informally, and i was so shocked at how quickly the children pick it up. The helper at register today (3 1/2yrs old) worked out that 13 children + 4 adults = 17 all together, just from using the number line.

We then had a game with the number line and found that most of the 13 children (ranging from 2-4yrs) were able to add up using the numberline.

I know children are like sponges but it still amazes me how quickly they can pick things up through play, games and fun.

net x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)