Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Clipart Search

I am looking for a suitable clipart program which I can use when preparing and producing work in my pre-school. It's more for me to use when I illustrate song sheets and look for such things as pictures of mini-beasts, transport etc. rather than for the children to use.

I have a couple of clipart CD's but they are either very American or too cartoony or just too adult :o

I would be grateful if anybody had any ideas. Thanks.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest I just use microsoft publisher's clipart collection - backed up with Google image search when I need it.

Guest Joan

:) I use Publishers/Word clip art collection but not just the disc I use the clips online option as well. However I do enjoy editing/playing about with images so often import the image into Corel Draw and play about with it. :o

Cheers

Hi -

Why do so many of you use Publisher? I've never come across it before this forum. Is it free software or does it cost money - and does it usually come with a new PC or do you buy it separately? :o

I have used http://www.barrysclipart.com/ occasionally which has a lot of free clipart and links to other resources as well. But lots of it is, as you say, cartoony.

I think it's because it tends to be included as part of the office package so it's installed automatically on lots of new PCs and school computers. It's also easy enough to produce something relatively good looking, and it does banners and cards and all those other things it's nice and useful to be able to do quickly in a classroom.

Thanks for all the help. :D I looked at barrysclipart.com-it's very good with some really nice piccies. It didn't have what I was looking for so I went onto some of the links. And low and behold, just what I have been searching for-chilldren's musical bells. :D Only trouble is it's an American site and you have to pay for it!! :o

Oh well-such is life!! I think it would be easier to take a photograph of the bells in pre-school. I have publisher but I don't know about the clips on line and I don't have Corel draw I don't think. Is it worth having?

Thanks again

Linda

Hi Linda -

Corel Draw is a good program but quite expensive to buy, and it's quite a learning curve if you haven't used graphics programs before.

I'm not sure what you want really. Do you just want a program that enables you to place clipart and images into a document containing text etc (to create eg worksheets)?

Or do you want to manipulate the images themselves? If it's this latter one, then you will need something like Corel Draw, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Fireworks or another of these image editing programs.

If, however, you'd just like to find clip art or photo's and incorporate them into worksheets, then you don't need a graphics program such as those mentioned above. You could use Publisher (from the sound of it), or any desk top publishing program - Microsoft Word, for example will allow you to place graphics into a document.

Looking back at your original question, it seems unclear to me what you need a program for. You don't really need a program as such to use clipart. You just need the graphic file. The only time you need a program is for the two reasons I mentioned above.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you're after. It wouldn't be the first time. :o

Thanks Steve. It's not you it's my use of the incorrect language!! :o You are right I need the software not a program-and yes I need clipart as opposed to messing about with images. The web site you suggested is very good and I will use that from now on.

I have gained so much from joining this forum-not least all the web sites that are really useful! xD Long may it all continue!! :(:(:(

Thanks

Linda :D:D

I download clipart onine into Powerpoint. I don't know how this compares to Publisher but it is very easy to use. If you use it change the paper size to A4 as the default setting is slideshow.

Hi there,

I have been in a similar information. But if you are working in an office package and using either word, powerpoint or publisher, you can open up the clip art and click on clips online, or clips fromt he web ( depending which version) as long as you have the Internet open. This way you can select the clips by putting in a search ( it only takes one word usually and you may need to think laterally to get the right word for what you want).

If there is a particular clip you like with regard to style etc. then click on the clip and it will open up a further window, here you will see a style number, this is also a hyperlink. If you click on the style number then you get the search results for all slips of this style ( no longer just the subject matter of the original search though) .

When you have put the ticks in all the boxes of clips you like, you click on download clips and these will go into your clipart bank in word/ publisher/ powerpoint etc. to be used whenever you wish. As these go directly to the clipart bank, I have always found this easier than a clipart resource. Plus it is free!

Another option is to find images you like on the web ( google images is good). If you click the right mouse button you can copy to paste into word, or save the image. A saved image can also be imported into your word clipart if it's something you may use a lot.

Hope this helps

happy huntung

Debra

• 3 weeks later...

Hi :)

As I usually work in microsoft applications, I usually download their clips from the web - as others have said previously.

I thought that the URL of the actually microsoft gallery site online would be useful - there are lots andlots of great clip art to use, but be careful when youdo your search because it is an american site of course and so when you want a pic of a 'tap' you often have type in 'fawcet' for example!

http://dgl.microsoft.com/

They often have seasonal features on the index page which come in handy too. Hope this helps :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)