Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Sheet For Elgs

Hi there, I wonder if anyone has a good tracking sheet with the ELGs on that I could use. I met with my LEA Advisor today and she seemed to think that it was not enough that I am tracking children's progress through the profile scale points but that I also need to track the attainment of the stepping stones and elgs. Do other practitioners do both?

Thank you for your help, I have looked on the internet but I just can't find anything that would be useful and manageable!

ABT

xxx

Thats a job and a half!

Technically I can see where she is coming from but in practise think this a lot to do and probably unnecessary. If you are tracking against ELGs then you will be able to fill in the profile and as you are teaching to ELGs you will be tracking them within your planning and evaluation but to score them individually as well for assessment is alot to do. If you advisor thinks you should do this can she not provide you with a format? I used to do this before the profile was introduced but have not done it since.

I may have the format I used and will look it out for you later.

http://tlfe.org.uk/foundationstage/earlyle...development.htm

heres a link to a site that shows the early learning gals and stepping stones for each area all on one page

i agree with sue lots of paperwork what may be a simpler way is to highlight when stepping stone/elg covered and initial any child not yet achieved raher than indivvidulchecklists

i too like think i have one from yonks ago will look out and put on if sue cant find hers

Hello,

We have three A3 sheets with the areas of learning (2 on each page) and the development points (stepping stones) right from birth to the Early Learning Goals. Each child has a copy of this in their Individual Portfolio, we have a system which is two ticks and a highlight to ensure that we see the skill/behaviour three times, all members of staff are involved in updating these. It's a lot of work to set it up at first, but now we've done it we feel more organised and knowledgeble about what we need to provide for the child to make progress. We use observations, professional judgements, photos and examples of children's work as evidence. We also found it useful to show the progress to parents at a recent parents evening. Most of the parents said that they didn't realise how much work goes into early years ed ucation.

:o

Wow that sounds great Gemski, we have a similar system but it uses more sheets of paper.

Would you be able to put an example on to show us if poss?!x

Hi. I agree with Susan. Tracking through the stepping stones as well as the ELGs seems nuts. Who does that benefit? Not you or the children that's for sure. Sometimes I think LEA advisers just pluck random things from the air. (Sorry to any advisers who are reading this and don't do that!). As far as I'm aware there is no statutory need for you to do this: you are only obliged to report attainment against the ELGs.

You might find it useful to look at this earlier discussion: here.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! has anyone ever heard of these books for tracking?

http://www.qed.uk.com/early_years.htm#Trackers_0-5

aisha

Welcome to the forum, Aisha!

I have seen these books - but I think they'd be quite expensive for a large group of children. I do like the fact that they can be given to parents when the child leaves though (and that each child has their own tracker showing their progress).

Depends on whether they get used as a 'tick sheet' for what a child can't do rather than as evidence of what the child is known or has been observed to do.

Maz

Thanks for the welcome! I've been enjoying reading the posts and getting loads of useful resources!!

Yes I can see what you mean about the tick sheet thing from the sample pages, you'd have to add alot yourself in the form of observations and photos, thanks for the input!

aisha

Hi. I agree with Susan. Tracking through the stepping stones as well as the ELGs seems nuts.

Mrs Ofsted told us that it was important to be able to show parents where their child is on their journey through the stepping stones - we have a document which lists the stepping stones/elgs for each area of learning, with boxes against each that we can log in the dates of observations which show children meeting these stepping stones.

What it does for us is enables key workers to focus their planned observations so that we don't keep generating the same information for a particular child, as well as highlighting any 'gaps' in the observations for a particular area in a visual way. It also encourages keyworkers to analyse each observation carefully to see what is going on for the child.

It is a big document (and the need for one for each child poses problems for storage and retrieval) but staff report that it is a useful document and has enabled them to develop more in depth knowledge of where the child is.

The challenges for me is that I need to provide non-contact time to complete the paperwork and make sure that the staff don't get so hung up on filling the trackers in that they begin to be used as a 'ticksheet' so that the tracker drives the children's progress and not the other way round!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)