Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supporting Child Initiated Play

Hi. We are firmly following child initiated learning and play in our setting and this week a large group of boys are clearly engrossed with star wars which is lovely. My question is have you got any good ideas for extending their learning etc because if I'm honest, I have never watched Star Wars. I'm not a fan of sci-fi in general and could really do with your help!

Today 3 of the boys (4 year olds) sat down and tried to explain to me what happens in the film, who the characters are etc and it was really fruitful! One even told me that if I went on the computer, got on the internet and looked in 'you tube' I would find Star Wars and could have a look - wrote that one up as an observation!! Aren't kids great?

Look forward to hearing from you, now I'm off to 'you tube'!!

I'm a massive star wars fan and when our juniors did science fiction as a topic I took in all my films, toys and music for them. I have also used the space ships in reception for a space topic. I suggest you ask the children to bring in things- like the films or toys to share with the others to talk about?! also what about liostening to the music? they could move to it, describe feelings etc.

I wish I could help more!

Hi

what a good idea to follow. Lego do some good toys but are expensive but you can also get Lego starwars CDrom from games shops and it is not dear.

My two boys are star wars mad. Try the lego star wars site for more ideas ships etc.

Can you design space craft?

Write rescue notes?

How brave are you wrapping paper rolls would make great light sabers? - oh torches would be great too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)