Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rewards/sanctions During Assemblies

Hi,

In the past at our school only the head/deputy and some members of the SMT have taken regular assemblies however from Jan I will be taking an assembly for the 3FS classes and the 3 KS1 classes each week. I have taken a few assemblies in the past and although they haven't been terrible I have noticed that the children (particularly the Year 2 children who I haven't had in my class) aren't as well behaved during my assembly as they are in the head and deputies.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to suitable rewards during assemblies other than verbal praise, eye contact, etc. Additionally, if a particular child or group of children were playing up what would be the appropriate sanction during an assembly - I guess that's a difficult question as it depends on the child and severity of behaviour but saying if one child is distracting others on purpose after you have given them a warning what would you do?

Edited by Guest

Get them to stand up.

Move then to the front to sit by the younger children.

Inform class teacher.

Use other sanctions tat also exist within the school e.g. sad peg.

If child persists time off playtime, lunchtime.

Sent out of hall.

I have had to use some of these once or twice and then the culprits usually behave for other assemblies.

Hope that helps

Lorna

Separate trouble makers, sit boy/girl alternately. Forfeit free time.use eye contact. Praise all the good children. I never shout but use an assertive voice.I am only pre-school but normally do eventually get well behaved children. Some take longer than others to come round to my way of thinking.

Thanks for your replies. Anybody any ideas for rewards?

Susan, we don't have any guidelines as far as I am aware and depending on who is doing the assembly the rewards/sanctions are different according to that teacher's preferance.

I personally wonder if assembly is actually appropriate for Foundation Stage. :o

Obviously not helpful if this is a 'school' requirement, all I can suggest is keeping it as age/stage appropriate as possible, short, sharp, lively and wherever possible interactive, then the children will hopefully be too busy enjoying themselves to 'play up' - again not useful I know but I'm wearing my rose tinted glasses again. xD

Peggy

Maz

Can we have them installed in the classroom to?..... would love that for a couple of mine this year.

Ariel as for rewards....

Praise.

We have a counter system in school which is used for class beaviour in the playground, assembly time etc.... classes are awarded counters for everyone in the class doing the right thing.... In Monday assembly taken by head the counters are counted and the class with the most gets a little silver trophy to keep in their classroom for the week.

Good old fashion stickers.

Informing class teacher... X hasd behaved well today in assembly or whole class.

Lorna

I agree with Peggy try to make them as interactive as possible if you really do need to have FS in assembly!

Also as Y2 are the oldest can you get them to do some of the work with you? While all of the other suggestions are great what it does do is give attention to the misbehaving children and also makes you lose the flow of the assembly which is after all meant to be interesting!

Do the teachers of the children come into assembly as this is crucial it is near impossible to actually de,iover an assembly and keep the discipline at the same time and it isn't really fair on you either as it just becomes a crowd control activity!

Jenny Mosley does a really great book for assembly on the Golden Rules. Very practical!

I must admit I find the method of standing a child up when everyone is sitting down to be humiliating and I don't personally like it! (It happended to my son once when I was teaching in the school he attended. I felt very upset by it.)

I think keeping things fun, interactive, fast moving is really important. Children are used to everything moving very quickly and are not happy to sit listening to a voice! Powerpoint images are good, video clips, exciting music (try Fischy.com for some brilliant school assembly songs - they come with sheet music and backing tracks which are very cool!), use talk partners, get the older children involved in the delivery of the assembly, try cooking pancakes in front of them all or or pretending to trip up and tip a glass of water over yourself (can't remember why I did this but it kept their attention!) Could Y2s sit with Reception as mentors?

I used to love assemblies (so I got lots to do!) and had Reception to Y6. I found it really important to have an extra member of staff whose role was to do the crowd control thing so I didn't lose the flow of what we were doing.

Enjoy!

I enjoy my assemblies, I have one for Foundation Stage 1 and 2 which is based around a friendship ring game. Fairly short but predictable structure.and stickers involved at the end!

My other links Foundation stage 2 (reception) with key stage 1, we sit in a u shape with Reception facing Year 2 and Year 1 facing me. Again there is movement linked with a starter song, an interactive exploration of the theme and praise again - house points this time.

I find

http://www.assemblies.org.uk/current/index.php is very helpful for interesting starting points

Good Luck, Jenny

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)