Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning/activites Help!

Hi all,

am doing a topic on materials and magnetism with my nursery this year (yr 3 BA training placement), never done it before, has anyone got any ideas. i do have some, but i have several weeks to plan for and am stuck! role play ideas would be of great help too.

thanks

Hi and welcome qwertylove, good name for someone who is going to become hooked here!!!

Thats a challenge especially when CI is gaining popularity.

I'm afraid my mind has gone blank at the moment but a focus on materials might lend itself to weather and clothing.

Hi,

The children in our FU love handling the really big magnets and to begin with just going around the unit to see if they can find anything that 'sticks' to them. I find it works best when you have a small group of children and sit round and take it in turns testing different materials we also have a fantast fishing game that our FU co ordinator made with 4 rods with a magnet on and just laminated fish with paper clips on for the children to catch. (this obviously then lends itself to include other learning opportunities such as number, colour, pattern.)

Hope that helps a bit.

With regard to role play its a bit of a sticky area in our setting as i dont think we do enough of it, although i recently ordered a set of 10 capes for the children to use so thats a small step up a big ladder so to speak.

N

We recently filled our 'tuff spot' with leaves, twigs & stuff and hid various materials such as metal, wood & plastic underneath. Children used a metal detector and different sized magnets to pick up metal bits.

They loved it and added mini beasts, sand and water just to make it more interesting!!!

I've seen an interactive display before where the children can test which materials stick to the magnets and which don't, can then sort the materials and provide labels for them.

You can get some really good magnets about, especially ball magnets which come in all different colours,,,, uts make sure there is enough to go around!

Essc x

I would also get lots of different materials from all sorts of places such as the plumbers, garden centre, wood yard etc and have these around in baskets and let the children investigate with their magnets on all sorts of things.

Also good old household items such as old kettle, old vacuum cleaner etc children will just love using these!!

One of my tuff spot activities is to use paper clips as cargo, lorries and dumper trucks with wand magnets.As an extention I add a few non magnet bits in mid session-brass paper fasteners etc Makes a change from gravel.

I have also done some DT by drawing a picture on a thin piece of card and making a character with a sellotaped paperclip on the back.Through the card you can make the character move with a magnet.eg a spider then draw a drain pipe to make Incy Wincy climb up or a car and a figure of 8 track on the card to try and drive the car around the track.Hope that makes sense!!

There are some good magnet construction toys and don't forget a wooden train set has magnets to attached the carriages.

Edited by Guest

i did a lovely totem pole made out of card board boxes on each box a group of children made a face one group out of paper, one out of metal one out of material etc when the faces are all stacked on top of each other it makes a brilliant display plus children had to work as group sortingout their material from a tuff spot filled with evrything and making face lots of fun

sorry not got many ideas

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)