Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Focus Children

Hi

Have been reading the info on focusing on 3 children a week with interest. I first found out about the idea when ploughing through the eyfs CD. This recommended having 3 focus children 1 week, then use this info for planning in week 2 and the review week 3. During week 2 you would then focus on another 3 children and so on, is this how others would interpret it? It sounds the right way to go but what about making sure you have covered the developmental matters/stepping stones? What about Long term plans etc? And how about convincing the SMT? What if you have 2 sessions, do you do 3 children each session per week , which will mean 2 lots of plans? I know too many questions and perhaps I should wait for the training but I just feel it is the right way to go. :o

Well if it was me i wouldnt do long or medium trem plans - as there is nothing you can really plan part from which weeks the children will be having obseavrtion done on them.

I thinking of doing it that way too

My long term planning just consists of festivals, visitors and special events. My ongoing provision/ routine covers the stepping stones. I am also unclear about their time scales as well. I have 70 children so my children would only be formally observed approx once a year??????

Haven't seen this on the EYFS CD - must go and look at it sometime!

As you know I can bore for England on this topic :o

In terms of planning, we plan our activities/experiences for the whole week so no matter when the children attend they get the same experience (in theory, anyway!). Our observations of the children are logged onto our EYFS tracker so we can identify which stepping stones/ELGs are well covered and where the gaps in our observations are. Our long and medium term plans might just show where and how we cover the six areas of learning and development through our core provision, and an indication of festivals/trips/special events etc. Luckily I am my SMT (assuming you mean Senior Management Team and not anything derogratory!), and my two deputy supervisors have a very similar outlook!

Wow - a post that was only one paragraph long. If you discount the first two lines...

Maz

My long term planning just consists of festivals, visitors and special events. My ongoing provision/ routine covers the stepping stones. I am also unclear about their time scales as well. I have 70 children so my children would only be formally observed approx once a year??????

What sort of setting are you in bubblejack?

We observe our children all the time - not just during their Superstar week. The quality of the observations/evidence we collect during their special week is often of a higher quality - after all they are taking part in activities specially devised/planned for them and as such their key workers are on the look out for anything that will prove they got their planning right! :o

But seriously we're lucky in that our adult:child ratio is high so we are collecting evidence and documenting children's learning all the time whether by observation or photographs or collecting 'work' to go in children's special books.

I asked what setting you're in because I have often heard Reception teachers wondering aloud how they will manage to do the necessary observations...

Maz

I am a pre-school HappyMazl. We all observe as and when. We use sticky labels and when we have discussed them at the end of the week to inform future planning the observations are stuck on the childs profile. Reading the new EYFS cd makes me feel that we should be doing it a little more formally.The other formal way we do it is by observing each child when they have their Special Day. i.e.bringing fav. things from home and talking about them to the group.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)