Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Folders

I would like to think of ways to include parental involvement in our children's assessment folders in our Nursery. We keep examples of evidence of the six areas-work and photos done in the Nursery. Any ideas on a fairly regular but manageable way of including contributions from home?

Hi when you say Nursery do you mean 3-4 year olds or 0-4? I am a Reception teacher and have been asked to advise our children`s centre 0-4 on what to put in their Record of Achievement files because staff are only collecting art work. I was going to ask others today what they do and do they also fit it round observations. Dont mean to take over your question if mine is not quite the same - I can always put it in again under new topic. Thanks

thank you. have you done this? how often did you write in it? i have 52 children and dont want to start something that is going to be very time consuming for me, but it is an important area and would like to do something about it.

Edited by none

we keep scrapbooks as part of each child's 'learning journey'.In these,we put photographs, observations etc and we encourage parents to add their own comments/observations and note the childs acheivements at home....say, first time s/he used the potty successfully.we also note down anything the child says s/he likes/dislikesetc and those things the child has shown an obvious pride in, ' I just did a D for DANNY!!!!!!!!!!' etc,where the child is able, they could write their own comments, or we can video them to go onto a cd to go with the book when the child leaves.We keep a supply of notelets, pens, pencils, photo mounts,pritt sticks,A4 poly pockets etc so things can be added immediately, by whomever wishes to make the notes.parents know they must respect each others privacy and may only look at another childs book if invited to do so by the child's parent.We keep the books where we can see them at all times, to prevent nosy parents stealing a peek!It's a nice, easy system to use and parents enoy adding things,so it's a real group collaboration

[Hello. i am ihe FS cordinator in a Catholic school. we have 3 and 4 year olds in Nursery. each child has an a4 folder divided into the 6 areas with examples of work, sticky labels, photocopies of white board work, etc. As yet, i have no input in the folders from parents. don,t want homework sheets-too unreliable!! don't want to have big 2 way written messages as i don't have the time to write them. thinking of this home-setting book idea but might need to give parents a focus-such as we are looking at colours this week .how could i organise this?

Hi there

Have spent hours this weekend compiling folders for each of my children, it is basically an elongated stepping stones booklet and in my opinion although a fantastic keepsake for the parents a complete waste of time especially for all of the children who will be continuing at our setting next Sept when the EYFS comes into force.

Can I just ask everyone who does folders do you have this alongside a Stepping Stones booklet? My setting have scrapped the stepping stones printed out booklet and we are supposed to just write it or cut and paste it into the folders where appropriate.

I wish someone would from up high would just sit down one day and say this is the way it should be done! Or I wish someone in my setting would just say lets follow the EYFS even though its not quite time for it no hope for that though.

I get so frustrated with where I work!!!

Shelley,

I know exactly what you mean!! There seems to be so many ways to do the obeervations and assessments but I would love it if someone could say this is what you have to do. In my experience the child profile booklets work quie well which is what I'm going to start using in the new year. Alongside this I will create a portfolio for eeach child-every stepping stone they acheive will be highlighted and the photo, observations or sample of work will be put into the book.

Not sure if i have helped you at all!

Hannah

HI Everyone,

I just wonder how we are supposed to have photographic, written observations, samples of work for evidence of each stepping stone? I am responsible for a large Foundation Stage Unit with 60 FS2's and 78 FS1's. I don't know how people find time to do it all!!I am responsible for the 78 FS1 children.With 2 Nursery Nurses thats still 26 children each! We would spend all of our time with the camera and not with the children! Then we are supposed to have the Key Worker system next year with small groups of children how on earth are we going to do it?

Sandy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)