Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stories For People Who Help Us

Hello,

Please could anyone help me - we are going to be looking at People who Help Us next term. Could anyone suggest any stories that I could read to the children/ books relating to this topic that we could base our work around?? I am new to Foundation!

Thank you :-)

Hi

Welcome to the forum there are quite a few books you can get depending on age stage of the children I have listed a couple below which you can get from most book shops or Amazon. I am sure someone will be along with more suggestions soon.

People Who Help Us (New Themes for Early Years) (New Themes for Early Years) by Jenni Tavener

People Who Help Us (Practical Pre-school) by Rachel Sparks Linfield, Cathy Hughes, and Christine Warwick

Police Officer (People Who Help Us) by Rebecca Hunter and Chris Fairclough (these do a set of books on different occupations)

If you search on amazon or wh smith for people who help us it will bring up a full list

I found a lovely set of books that were a mixture of fiction and non-fiction as they had lots of information given in a story form with lovely illustrations. The children (and other staff) loved them in Nursery. Two of the titles were 'Daisy the Doctor' and 'Vicky the Vet' but I can't remember any of the others off the top of my head and I'm not sure which series they belonged to. I got them off Amazon quite cheaply.

Hope this helps as I know I was struggling to find anything at the time!

• 4 weeks later...

Vicka the Vet and Daise Doctor are from a fab series by Usborne - they also do Fred the firefighter, Sam the chef, Tessa the teacher and Frank the farmer. Even if there are too many words for some of the children to cope with listening to at one time, the illustrations are fantastic.

I also like the book My mum is fantastic (when we do who helps us at home).

I looked through our topic box today and the best books I have that I use with my youngest children are the Usborne First Experiences series...Going to the doctor, going to the dentist etc - they are simple and really great for explaining and as a point for discussion as well as allaying fears.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)