Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted

Help needed please! I am a reception class teacher in a school where the management likes to see structure and formal teaching. We were ofsteded a few weeks ago and I was told that the class was too formal with not enough opportunity for independent learning (which I agree with!). However discussion with the head resulted in his insistance that formal teaching remains in place because of the need to raise standards and I must conform with school planning structures etc. Feel very frustrated and don't know what to do. Any ideas?

Guest tinkerbell

If you haven't already been you will be going on training for the new EYFS which will be statutory from September 2008.

Your head will have no option but to take on a more independent approach to learning in Foundation.You could get your LEA Early years team in to 'help' you address the Ofsted issue which is a way of them supporting you telling your head what needs to be done.

Good luck

Tinkerbellx

Nothing to add - just wanted to say good luck - you obviously recognise what is good practice and "just" need to convince the powers that be! We're all behind you! :o

Hi

Just like to let you know you're not alone in this situation. My colleague in year R has had to do formal teaching as the smt want RESULTS!. It does'nt matter how much we complain it makes no difference. We had someone from the Early years team visit last week who told us we are doing too much formal. She asked us if we knew how much child initiated time there should be. We told her the right amount and informed her we do know how things should be done. I think she read between the lines as she will be visiting us again and hopefully back us up.

This one is so tough isn't it? Ive had the opposite experience where it was the OFSTED team that wanted more formality, consequently the school has gone down a very formal path. Keep chinking away at the armour if you can, but at the end of the day, the Head can demand what they want to see, even if we thin kthey are wrong! Sometimes you have to decide if its really the place that you want to work in.

I agree with Mundia. Perhaps it's time to look for a new job - one where they will appreciate you and allow you to provide children with the opportunities and experiences that you know are important. Good luck!

Hi

Just like to let you know you're not alone in this situation. My colleague in year R has had to do formal teaching as the smt want RESULTS!. It does'nt matter how much we complain it makes no difference. We had someone from the Early years team visit last week who told us we are doing too much formal. She asked us if we knew how much child initiated time there should be. We told her the right amount and informed her we do know how things should be done. I think she read between the lines as she will be visiting us again and hopefully back us up.

Hi fancyfull (or anyone else who knows) - Please could you let me know what the 'right amount' of child initiated play should be?? thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)