Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Winter Topic

Guest colechin

Guest colechin

Next half term we will be looking at Winter. We would like to do a story on Winter maybe about a Polar Bear so this can be on going thru the first half term. Do any of you have ideas for books, songs etc. I would also like to do an interactive maths display based around winter.

Also have you any ideas to cover the following stepping stone - 'Uses own methods to work through a problem'

Thank you for your time

I'd forgotten about that Sue, well done :o

For problem solving try stopping ice cubes from melting. Wrap them in different materials, wool, tin foil, paper...whatever you like. Record how long the ice takes to melt. xD

• 2 weeks later...

Display idea: All children can paint their own snowman on black sugar paper. When it is dry they can add eyes, scarf (material), buttons etc. You can then add them to a snowy background. We also created a group art by decorating a huge snowman who was placed in the middle. The children also made snowflakes by adding snowflakes and glitter to a cd. It looked great! Maths ideas-children could count the snowmen/look at shapes within display,

Role play- we created an 'Ice Castle' which also doubled up as the North POle. We hung up white sheets from the ceiling and added glittery shiny paper. We had wintry activities inside the castle; such as count the buttons on the snowman, winter books, dressing up-angel dresses etc.

hope this helps

xx

Display idea: All children can paint their own snowman on black sugar paper. When it is dry they can add eyes, scarf (material), buttons etc. You can then add them to a snowy background[/quote

I like to do this display in the cloakroom area and add mathematical questions one a day.I pre-warn parents on the weekly newsletter so they can hunt for the new question each day with their child then come whisper the answer to me for which they get a sticker (the parents are really competitive!)

How many snowman have red hats?

Which snowman has the longest/shortest scarf? (each snow man has a number on)

Who has the most/least buttons.

I've used the same approach with a washing line of clothes for positional language in Spring and lawnmowers cutting grass for weight in summer.Jaspers beanstalk growing new leaves daily for counting and at the moment 'Silly Santa' is hiding baubles daily on the twenty tree.It's a good way to get parents involved.

We are doing 'Bears' in the new term but starting first week with Polar bears so we can do the wintery ideas.I have a story called 'The Winter Bear'by Ruth Craft about 3 children who find a knitted bear stuck in a tree on a winters walk.We are repeating an activity we've done before planting a distressed bear in the garden and waiting for someone to discover him.He'll spend time in the water tray having a wash, being repaired, clothes being made for the wintery weather, found posters being made and posted around school.He'll be loved, named and cared for-worked great last time but the hardest part was getting an old bear at the charity shop and 'distressing him'!

We intended last-time for the bear to be claimed but it was obvious the children were to attached so he was loved the rest of the year!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
We are doing 'Bears' in the new term but starting first week with Polar bears so we can do the wintery ideas.I have a story called 'The Winter Bear'by Ruth Craft about 3 children who find a knitted bear stuck in a tree on a winters walk.We are repeating an activity we've done before planting a distressed bear in the garden and waiting for someone to discover him.He'll spend time in the water tray having a wash, being repaired, clothes being made for the wintery weather, found posters being made and posted around school.He'll be loved, named and cared for-worked great last time but the hardest part was getting an old bear at the charity shop and 'distressing him'!

We intended last-time for the bear to be claimed but it was obvious the children were to attached so he was loved the rest of the year!

I was going to do that with the freezing bear discovery, too - it's worked well for me before as well - but I've not seen that book before. It sounded great, so I went on Amazon and it costs between £15 and £56 !!! :o Might look for a different winter book!! Using Winnie in Winter at the moment - any other recommendations?

so I went on Amazon and it costs between £15 and £56 !!!

thats the second book I use repeatedly thats done that. ( the first was Little Lumpty) My first thought is yipee SELL SELL :o the second is if the book has become so rare its worth that much have I been doing this too long? xD the third is I need fresh ideas :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)