Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Assembly Reading

Hi,

I am an NQT nursery teacher in a 1 form entry Church of England school. On the last day of term myself and my 2 nursery nurses have to perform a Christmas reading to the whole school. The reading can be funny, but needs to obviously appeal to the children. Has anyone got any good ideas? Have trawled the web and can't really find anything suitable.

Many Thanks and happy christmas

Lorraine

At our Girlguiding Christmas celebration last night some Guides read "t'was the night before Christmas" and I was shocked to realise that it was the first time I'd heard it all the way through...

It was quite funny in places, too. Is it just a narration or are the children involved and will you use props?

If children are involved, I saw a lovely class assembly recently where the teacher read the Jolly Postman - complete with child on bike driving around the stage delivering his letters to all the characters. That could easily be adapted for the Jolly Christmas Postman...

Maz

At our Girlguiding Christmas celebration last night some Guides read "t'was the night before Christmas" and I was shocked to realise that it was the first time I'd heard it all the way through...

It was quite funny in places, too. Is it just a narration or are the children involved and will you use props?

If children are involved, I saw a lovely class assembly recently where the teacher read the Jolly Postman - complete with child on bike driving around the stage delivering his letters to all the characters. That could easily be adapted for the Jolly Christmas Postman...

Maz

Hi Maz,

It is just a narration from the 3 of us. I had thought of the night before christmas, but felt it was too long. With it being my first time in front of the whole school the thought filled me with dread!

Lorraine

Is this something that all the staff in the school have to do? That would affect the type of item and the length of it?

yes, all the staff say a piece, usually in pairs or 3s. We wont stay in their for the whole assembly as it will be too long for nursery to sit through.

Lorraine

I found this poem on the assemblies website. What does everyone think?

Christmas

by Jan Edmunds

When children think of Christmas,

What’s the first thing comes to mind?

It’s usually the presents

That they hope to find.

For parents there’s preparation,

Lots of things to do,

Plenty of shopping, buying the food,

To make Christmas dreams come true.

Then there are decorations,

Lights upon the tree.