Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Christmas Activities

Help! We have OFSTED in on Wednesday, I am starting Christmas tomorrow, have done the Advent calendar and are making Santas Grotto or similar depending what they want to do tomorrow with the children. We have access to our own playground with bikes, home corner, sand etc but am struggling to think up something outdoor linking with Christmas. We will set up a Nativity area later in the week but don't feel I can cope with that and Santas Grotto before Wednesday Any ideas would be gratefully received. By the way it's a Reception Class.

Our reception children love using large brushes and water outside.

You could maybe add glitter to the water and get them to make stars.

Even sing "Twinkle, Twinkle " as you go!!!!!!!! :o

Thank you what a great idea

My favourite Christmas Outdoor activity is to provide loads of garden greenery in the tuff spot and oasis in yogurt pots or oasis wreath which you can get from good garden centres (not BBQ)

Pieces of christmas tree, holly, ivy, red ribbon, short pieces of wire, pine cones and we sprayed hydranga flower heads silver all gathered from my garden.Put a magnifying glass out as there's always something that crawls out of the greenery.I throw a few pieces of herbs in so the children can smell-rosemary-bay leaves-sage

We made a lovely wreath last week and it hangs on the nursery door and everyone comments on it.

We've had an OFSTED at Christmas and I did this activity then and it was mentioned in the report :o .I extended it that year by providing oasis in solid shapes as it was a focus.You can get big blocks which can be sliced with a knife to cubes and cuboids.You can get spheres and we tied ribbon round so they could hang a bit like the spiced oranges you can make with oranges and cloves.The children liked dipping the oasis into a bucket of water first and watching the bubbles rise.

If frost is forcast cut out large stars and leave them out the night before for the children to lift when they arrive.Put salt into cheap plastic sauce bottles (2 for 99p at Morrisons) and let them 'draw' in the frost.

If heavy (has to be heavy!) rain is forcast squirt fairy liquid on the playground surface and watch the bubbles.

Make a star hunt-laminate 2 sets of stars with a number on 1-10. Hide one set and give a child a duplicate to find the matching star.

Hope thats some help and good luck!

ice in the builders tray with artic animals, some little pebbles, shake with glitter and icing sugar, its great for good discussion and they like watching what happens to the ice as it melts, if possible make ice with the children if not you can buy it in asda tescos coop around 1.49 . the best of luck ger

My favourite Christmas Outdoor activity is to provide loads of garden greenery in the tuff spot and oasis in yogurt pots or oasis wreath which you can get from good garden centres (not BBQ)

Pieces of christmas tree, holly, ivy, red ribbon, short pieces of wire, pine cones and we sprayed hydranga flower heads silver all gathered from my garden.Put a magnifying glass out as there's always something that crawls out of the greenery.I throw a few pieces of herbs in so the children can smell-rosemary-bay leaves-sage

We made a lovely wreath last week and it hangs on the nursery door and everyone comments on it.

We've had an OFSTED at Christmas and I did this activity then and it was mentioned in the report :o .I extended it that year by providing oasis in solid shapes as it was a focus.You can get big blocks which can be sliced with a knife to cubes and cuboids.You can get spheres and we tied ribbon round so they could hang a bit like the spiced oranges you can make with oranges and cloves.The children liked dipping the oasis into a bucket of water first and watching the bubbles rise.

If frost is forcast cut out large stars and leave them out the night before for the children to lift when they arrive.Put salt into cheap plastic sauce bottles (2 for 99p at Morrisons) and let them 'draw' in the frost.

If heavy (has to be heavy!) rain is forcast squirt fairy liquid on the playground surface and watch the bubbles.

Make a star hunt-laminate 2 sets of stars with a number on 1-10. Hide one set and give a child a duplicate to find the matching star.

Hope thats some help and good luck!

Some lovely ideas there!! Today we made a large scale santa's sleigh. we had a box (from a bed) and asked the children to paint it red with rollers also adding glitter etc! The children made reindeer ears and pretended to be the reindeers pulling the sleigh or sat in the box (when dry) and pretend to be santa!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)