Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hats!

Hi!

I am going to be following the topic, 'hats' next half term, however I am really not sure how to approach this topic and break it down each week (good job it's only 4 weeks to fill!). Has anyone ever done this topic before or have any ideas to get me started!

When I do my planning I must bear in mind that nearly all of my class are not native English and over half don't speak English yet, so I must simplify activities as much as possible to develop their vocab and understanding.

Thanks

Lucy

All I can suggest is that you start with what hats the children are wearing and go from there, explore materials, styles, who wears hats who doesn't, why, etc then move onto other people who wear hats preferably with examples for children to touch, explore and experience. Hats worn in different cultures.

I would really struggle to cover this for a whole 4 weeks though.

Peggy

All I can think is to link hats into various role play situations and take it from there; e.g. firefighters, security guards, surgeons, cooks

Round or square

Or tall or flat

People love

To wear a Hat.

Thats how a picture book I have starts.

Ho for a Hat! by William Jay Smith. ISBN 0-316-88873-7

Its an old one so don't know if its still available.The cats in 'My cat likes to hide in Boxes' wear hats from different countries and there's Dr Suess 'Cat in a hat'.I made a snap game from different kinds of hats.

Just be careful of headlice!

Just be careful of headlice!

Biccy you read my mind - what fun to do this topic during 'bug busting week'! You could role play Nitty Nora and everything!

Sorry - getting carried away with the nostalgia thread elsewhere. Had quite forgotten Nitty Nora!

Maz

How about something about Mrs Honey's Hat? We did a lovely 3d display some time ago with lovely sticky, feathery, glittery hats made by each of the children...

how about each week focus on a different aspect of hat wearing ie

-Hats to keep us warm link it into warm winter cloths and the materials wool knitting if you can get a wooly hat, a part knitted hat and some wool and some raw sheeps wool (or cotton wool and a cotton head scarf) so that children can see all the stages from animal to hat

-hats to protect us cycle helmets especially as many children may have had bikes at christmas , crash helmet, horse riders, builders hard hat etc

-hats for work safety and uniforms again builder, postman/lady, police officer, lollipop man/lady, fireman/lady

-hats from around the world (when is chinese new year next year?)

hope that helps

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)