Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby Rooms - Motivating Staff

maj

I need some help / advice!! I have lost an excellent member of staff from the baby room and since she went 2 new people have joined us, but I'm hearing from other staff that things are not being done as they should be, there's lots of chat and not much action! obviously i'm concerned, but when I go in there for any amount of time, the staff concerned behave completely differently so i'm not getting a true picture of what's happening, has anyone else had this kind of problem or can you offer advice?

Hi maj, and well done for making your first post!

How long have they been in the setting? It could be they are still settling. Perhaps a little reminder at a staff meeting of expected practice? Are they in the same room? If so, maybe it would be better to spread them, so they see your expected practice in action elsewhere. How experienced are they, that sometimes affects this sort of thing.

Probably not much help, but let us know how you get on, please.

Sue

Hi Sue

one has been with us since April, came with experience of babies and birth to three, and the other was a student who was really good, but has 'gone off the boil'. I have spoken to both several times about their performance, brought general things up at staff meetings, and even put other staff in the room. I think i'll have to move them around a bit to see how the other rooms are run.

That sounds like a good idea, maj. Please do let us know how things go, and don't hesitate to pm me if you feel the need.

Have you a 'trusted senior' you could put in the room, that may be able to keep an eye on things/model practice ? And of course, let you know how things are going?

Good luck !

Sue