Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Left Hand Writers

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has experience/ideas for supporting children who are left handed but are emergent writers. The child finds it very difficult and also is complaining it hurts their hand.

Awful as it sounds this is the first child I have ever taught who is struggling.

Any ideas/tips greatly appreciated.VikkiM

Hi Vikki

you need to check the pencil grip is correct and relaxed. This child almost certainly needs lots more fine motor development to facilitate handwriting too.

Have you tried encouraging him to use his right hand? I have had left handers with similar complaints who have, when encouraged, found their right hand easier!

I would also do some upper body exercises. Check the child can make "windmills" with arms outstretched forwards and backwards and roll a hoop. Also can they touch each finger to the thumb of the same hand.

And also check that the fine motor skills are there to produce the necessary pencil grip - I know this seems a bit obvious but sometimes it can be overlooked.

Maz

I'm a lefty and in my NQT class (reception with 24 kids) I had 9 lefties! I was stunned! This year in a class of 8 I've got 3 lefties and 1 possible lefty.

For the writing it's really important they get a proper pencil grip. For years I didn't have that and my hand really hurt when trying to write. I was then shown by a fellow left hander how to hold it properly and it improved my writing no end.

Another useful tip is to always remember to have their paper at a slight angle and not 'face on'. It should tilt slightly with the right hand top corner pushed down a little. This enabled them to see the paper more clearly as a lefty covers all their writing otherwise and it does make it hard to write. I still cant write on a whiteboard in a straight line as I can't tilt it!

Anything Left Handed sell documents/videos to help teachers with teaching left handed kids to write. I'll find the link and post it.

Nich

xx

Edit:

Here is the link. I have the video (had it years) and loads of lefty equipment, I'd be lost without it.

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acata...rens_books.html

Edited by Nichola

Thank you so much for all your really helpful posts! Much of this is common sense I know but really helpful to hear it all.

Thanks again everyone xx :

Whilst we are onthe subject.. a parent has been questioning number formation for left handers... do people teach it differently? I know some letters form differently but I have never queried numbers before..maybe I should have?

Han

I think that I do numbers differently to right handers, things like the number 8 which I do the opposite way to most and the number 4 too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)