Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colours

well, realistically, I'd expect the children to know just about any colour you showed them, unless there was an identified problem preventing that.Most of my preschool children would be able to do this by the time they left us, with many of them knowing some colours such as turqouise, etc..................I even describe shades such as Lapis lazuli to mine, and some of them will tell me about colours such as indigo, and understand that it is a purpley blue shade.

Unless there was some identified special need then just about all or any colours.

A child who could not colour discriminate would be causing me concern and I would be trying to determine whether it was a language issue, in that they did not have the colour vocab secure or a visual/perception problem and referring them on.

I know there is a developmental theory that colour discrimination is not secure until 5 years but in practise I have found that only special needs children have difficulties.

I was wondering because most of my pupils have EAL. Most of them already know 11 (primary, secondary, white, black, pink, brown and grey). Some have started to say light ___ or dark _____. I will be using gold and silver during the Christmas theme. I just didn't want to be asking too much from them :o .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)