Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Difficult Behaviour

We have a child in our (school) nursery who soils himself, and this seems to be on purpose. I have spoken to the parent and recommended a visit to the doctor or health visitor. The mother says he does it at home and smears excrement over the walls. My headteacher would like to exclude him until he stops. Any ideas??? :o

Does he wear pull-ups or pants? What is his mum's reaction at home? If she gets very cross, he may be enjoying the attention. If I were you, I'd get really detailed information about how it is handled at home, first. You can then piece together the beginnings of why he does it.

Do you get any warning signs beforehand? Does he appear agitated? Does his behaviour change towards the other children, perhaps?

A nasty situation but one that may be solvable in the not too distant future, I hope. Get back to us. :)

Hi Horserchestnut

We use an ABC monitoring form to monitor different behaviours which give cause for concern. Obviously a first step would be to rule out any medical problem.

An ABC form records:

A) - the antecedent - what happened directly before the behaviour

:o - the behaviour (soiling)

C) - the consequences - what happened next

Record the time and date of each incident, it may show that he soils at a paticular time of the day or during a certain activity. Try it for a couple of weeks to see if you can make any sense of the results.

There is not always a pattern, but it maybe a starting point. Try to encourage mom to record the incidents at home too to get a fuller picture.

Thankyou for your support :) We have started a behaviour book to go to and from school, as there are other behaviour issues as well. Hopefully this will help.

Horsechestnut,

I haven't posted a reply to this topic as I had nothing constructive to add, but just wanted to lend my support too. You're in a very difficult situation and obviously excluding the child is the easy answer but won't actually help to solve the problem. I think the great strength of people working with chidren is their persistance to try and work through problems, for the child's sake. It may take a while but I hope you're efforts will lead to improvements eventually. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)