Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non Payment Of Fees

Sadly I have had to follow legal procedings due to a parents non payment of fees. Just wondering if anyone else has used the online service for small claims?

The parent left in summer term owing £70, then returned in the Autumn term ( child entitled to funding). I have been asked why did I take her back, well maybe because I'm soft, but really because the child is needy of the place. I gave mum the option of only attending for the 2.5 hrs funded time but she wanted to attend our full 3 hr session, so now she owes me another £100.80 for this term xD

I sent her a letter saying I would have to take legal action if payment was not made, I've pointed out the need for me to pay wages / rent etc and she is fully aware that I am struggling to make ends meet, thus I am closing in December. What made me really cross is that this term she has been on holiday ( albeit the Sun newspaper cheap holiday deal) and just this week she miraculously found £21 to pay for a preschool photo of her daughter even though suddenly her fridge and washing machine have packed up during the last 2 weeks. :o .

anyway, I've submitted a claim using 'Money Claim online' but not sure how long it will take until she is notified by them, does anyone know?

sadly one of the sour points of our profession, and I wish I didn't have to deal with it as I wanted my last few weeks to be a positive experience. :(

Peggy

no, not used, but about to, so I'll be interested in how you get on Peggy.I hope this woman hasn't pulled this stunt, KNOWING you are closing, and thinking you won't go after her for the money because of it? Trouble is, you, like me, are too trusting my girl!!

Yes i have used money claim on line twice - both times unsucessfully xD

I have to state that this was not the fault of the online service. Both times i had to follow the whole procedure, resulting in bailiffs visiting. Both sets of parents filed for bankruptcy so i had no hope of recovering debts.

I would definately recommend using the service for small amounts (under £250) as it is quite likely the debt will be recovered.

I have now signed up to Absolute Debt Recovery who charge a lifetime fee of £495 and they recover all debts and add their % on to debt rather than charge us.

I find the whole thing so infuriating, at present my company is owed just over £4000 :o

Yes i have used money claim on line twice - both times unsucessfully xD

I have to state that this was not the fault of the online service. Both times i had to follow the whole procedure, resulting in bailiffs visiting. Both sets of parents filed for bankruptcy so i had no hope of recovering debts.

I would definately recommend using the service for small amounts (under £250) as it is quite likely the debt will be recovered.

I have now signed up to Absolute Debt Recovery who charge a lifetime fee of £495 and they recover all debts and add their % on to debt rather than charge us.

I find the whole thing so infuriating, at present my company is owed just over £4000 :o

Sounds like you've found a good company, worth every penny if they can get even some of the £4k owed to you.

Peggy

Yes, I used this service ..but was unsuccessful I'm afraid! xD Good luck! :o

ooh, sorry to hear it wasn't successful for you, thanks for the info, lets hope your good luck wishes work for me.

Peggy

I just wanted to say that normally I don't have too much trouble with fees as I have quite a robust fee collection policy / practice. The main difficulty is that I can't 'threaten' removal of service because the child is funded. I have written to my LA to state that the funding system doesn't support settings non payment of fees policy, and that this needs to be considered when they set their grant criteria to parents, I personally think that the LA should back us up with any parents who owe a debt to a preschool, but then again where does that leave the child. :o

Peggy

It's a very thorny one, isn't it? Personally I don't think there's always enough support for groups that are in the private and especially the voluntary sector. I suppose the preschool development officers are the ones to involve in these kind of issues but it's never really made clear, in my experience at least. In my more cynical moments I wonder if we are not helped precisely because 'they' know that we don't usually carry things through because of the impact on the child?