Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

God Help Us All

As promised (and dint they answer quickly?!)

My email...

I am a member of a pre-school committee. We are revamping some of our paperwork and wondered if there are any things which we should include on the questionaire we give to parents when their child starts. We ask about siblings, drinking from a cup or beaker etc, but we wondered if you have a list of things we should ask, so we can be sure we havent missed anything out.

Yours

Ofsted reply...

Thank you for your e-mail.

Ofsted do not have a set list on what you advise in the parent questionnaire it would be your decision on what you think should be included in the questionnaire.

However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Caroline Brotherton

Customer Service Advisor

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 08456 404040

Hope you find it useful goose :oxD

Hi Rea,

Thanks so much for this. So ....it is my pre-school after all!!!! Have to say I was beiginning to wonder if all my training had been in total vain!

I'm not sure what to do now really. Perhaps I need to wait for the written copy and challenge the concern with the support of my EYP?! I think some of my mums are going to set off some kind of Emily Pankhurst style march if I don't challenge it!

On a slightly different tack there is a great article in fridays " Times" entitled " Let them use their imaginations for best result, pushy parents told" with a blog on timesonline.co.uk/alphamummy. The article ends with a statement from Beverley Hughes, the childrens minister, saying that structured learning soes not begin until children are 5....someone tell Ofsted please!!!!

All I have to add is it any wonder we are all so bloomin' muddled!!!

It was probably Marion Dowling that told Beverley Hughes...we're going round in circles!!! :o Stick with what you know to be right - Ofsted might eventually catch up with good practice!! xD

Is this true?? :o:(

But the government is planning to introduce more structured learning for three and four year-olds in pre-school which will set new learning goals, including one which specifies that by the time children start school they should be able to at least "use their phonic knowledge to write simple regular words".

Is this true?? xD:(

The curriculum is age-appropriate and we actively support teachers to adapt their teaching to the needs of children."

Just wanted to agree with all that has been said.

We were also told by the inspector that "good" was the new "very good". Does look "very good" to parents though does it? Our advisor thought we would get outstanding but when the same inspector visited another local pre-school she said she didn't give outstanding as there was always room for improvement. She told me she couldn't think of a recommendation for the learning side of the report so she asked me for my plans for development and then copied that :o

Maybe there should be another change in the gradings?

With regards to entry profiles, we don't base it on achievements but more on what the child enjoys/ dislikes etc so we have an overview of the child without the pressure on the parent.

Saddest form we ever had returned was ... under the heading "Tell us what your child is good at" the parent had written "nothing"

Just thought i would let you know there are currently 3 consultations re Ofsted.

1 = Information available on the Ofsted web (CIS or FIS now may feel a little redundant)

2 = Registration costs - sorry to say they are proposing £450. for day care settings to register by 2010!

3 = Inspection process in line with EYFS - They insist they improve quality!

May need to give this strand a little more exposure to ensure as many people respond.

All consultations til Feb 08, I believe.