Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pscales And The Guidance

Can anyone help. Our assessment co-ordinator has set up a grid with the stepping stones and ELG goals on. She has then addedd to the stepping stomes and ELG p-scales which correspond. She wants something similar for maths does anyone have one?

Thanks lola

P scales

Quite simply Lola, P scales are for KS1 and are NOT appropriate for FS.

In para 5.5 from above it clearly states

"The use of P scales will be statutory in 2008 for children with special educational needs who are working below level 1 of the national curriculum. Schools will need to use P scales to record and report the achievements of those children in the core subjects of English, mathematics and science. The P scales are not to be used to assess children below year 1 whatever their needs or children with English as an additional language (EAL) at any age unless they have additional special educational needs."

Absolutely agree with Susan. Pscales would only be useful for you at the end of the year in July when you may need to place (SEN) children onto Pscales. This you could do with your Year 1 colleague, who would need to use this information for targeted intervention. There is a brilliant resource that we use in school that breaks down each P Scale into smaller attainable targets. P Steps by B Squared.

P Steps assessment sample sheet

Munch

Trust me, this has been the topic of a very heated debate between the assessment co-ordinator and i. I made the exact same points as raised above. However she could not see my point and ended up telling me in no uncertain terms she was assessment co-ordinator and knew what she was doing. Hence i am now keeping my head down and doing as i'm told!!!!

Oh poor you Lola... has your coordinator seen the paragraph Susan attached? If no can she view it within the document? failing that I would go the head

In para 5.5 from above it clearly states

"The use of P scales will be statutory in 2008 for children with special educational needs who are working below level 1 of the national curriculum. Schools will need to use P scales to record and report the achievements of those children in the core subjects of English, mathematics and science. The P scales are not to be used to assess children below year 1 whatever their needs or children with English as an additional language (EAL) at any age unless they have additional special educational needs."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)