Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letters And Sounds

i have been using letters and sounds and following the activities for phase 1 but also introducing initial sounds through jolly phonics as the children really like them but i was told that there not really compatible so that i should use one or the other is that true. ger

I do the same as Marion- use jolly phonic actions, stories, songs etc to teach the phonemes in the order that is stated in letters and sounds. I've mainly be focusing on phase 2 with my reception class this term, and looking at blending and segmenting words. They are picking it up so quickly- I'm dead impressed!

Ive been asked to continue with Jolly Phonics in the school I am joining in January but I will be trying the Letters and Sound structure.

Who told you they werent compatible?

Letters and Sounds suggests you use mnemonics and what better than Jolly Phonics?

Absolutely agree with everyone here,

I am part of the CLLD project which advocates Letters and Sounds, however, the LA have been very clear that if you are using Jolly Phonics it dovetails really well together. What they do say is that if you are using Jolly Phonics use it to the book so to speak i.e. use the book, action and pace to teach each letter sound. I am currently using Jolly Phonics to introduce each sound but also using the Letters and sounds document to support, practise and apply early reading and writing skills. The kids love it and I am already noticing a huge difference in their confidence to have a go at reading (segmenting and blending being the key here) and they love using sound-talk. In Aut1 we used phase 1 and we are now within phase 2. We are also just about to buy Rigby Star reading books for guided and home as they clearly link to each phase. Also Fast Phonics First (subscribed online resource) is brilliant and supports both Jolly Phonics and Letters and sounds.

Munch

I now teach phonics through daily discrete sessions for 20mins each day. This is actually quite liberating because I have timetabled it into my week, separate from literacy time. Therefore, I can really focus the children rather than fitting it in around my text. As a result I can spend longer on my book throughout the week. I use the Letters and sounds format and Sparklebox have great resources that support the games in all phases. The childrn actually come in in the morning asking what sound are we learning today!!

I can't seem to upload my weeks planning, but if you would like to see it. Let me know your email and I will send on.

Munch

I now teach phonics through daily discrete sessions for 20mins each day. This is actually quite liberating because I have timetabled it into my week, separate from literacy time. Therefore, I can really focus the children rather than fitting it in around my text. As a result I can spend longer on my book throughout the week. I use the Letters and sounds format and Sparklebox have great resources that support the games in all phases. The childrn actually come in in the morning asking what sound are we learning today!!

I can't seem to upload my weeks planning, but if you would like to see it. Let me know your email and I will send on.

Munch

Thank you very much Munch but how do i send you my email address, thanks ger

Ger,

If you click on munch's name then a menu should drop down. One of the options is 'send message'. Click on this and it will take you to a screen where you can compose and send a message in much the same way as replying to a thread. If you still don't understand ask again and I will try to explain a different way! :o

• 1 month later...

Hi,

We use a programme called 'SALLEY - Structured activities for langauge and literacy for the early years' has anyone tried to use this programme with Letters and Sounds.

I've been on a Letters and Sounds course and they said to choose one program and stick to it rather than dipping into a few. However, the children that enter my nursery class sometimes have very poor speaking and listening skills, and in the past SALLEY has proven to be a great succes, the kids love it too. We have a set time each day when the children have SALLEY time. I want to try the Letters and Sounds but don't know were to fit it all in. Any ideas?

The key word is fidelity - to the structure of the phonics programme you use and that means right through your school too, no good all banging away at letters and sounds if the yr 1 teacher does jolly phonics etc etc. However, many things like the JP mnemonics etc or the like can be used within the framework of L+S. If I'm teaching a PGC then I'll use the resource that helps that. I'm not "teaching" through JP - that would be if I was following their programme. So don't worry about using elements of other stuff you have that help you deliver the content of whatever programme you all use. Just make sure that all the classes are doing the same!

In relation to oral language work if the programme (have to ay I don't know it) is mainly focused on oracy and listening then it would be compatible with the ethos of phase 1 which carries on right through all the phases and shouldn't get in the way of the more specific phonic skills you are teaching.

Cx

Hi,

We use a programme called 'SALLEY - Structured activities for langauge and literacy for the early years' has anyone tried to use this programme with Letters and Sounds.

I've been on a Letters and Sounds course and they said to choose one program and stick to it rather than dipping into a few. However, the children that enter my nursery class sometimes have very poor speaking and listening skills, and in the past SALLEY has proven to be a great succes, the kids love it too. We have a set time each day when the children have SALLEY time. I want to try the Letters and Sounds but don't know were to fit it all in. Any ideas?

I have never heard of SALLEY but I too work in a school where children's language skills are very poor and would be interested to find out more about the programme you use. I do use the letters adn sounds and mix it wiht Jolly Phonics the chidlren particularly like the songs that are connected to the Jolly Phonics and our adviser advocates the use of these.

Joanie

I use elements of SALLEY programme in our sessional pre-school and its brilliant. Because of age and attendance patterns we don't timetable Salley every day but the good sitting, looking and listening fits really well with our routines. The Salley Squirrel puppet holds secret and special powers over the children who truly believe everything she says (no, its really me interpreting, ITS A PUPPET!) and I do not want to lose her - ever! I have yet to attend Sounds and Letters, its in March I think, but very much hope that the 2 programmes can intermesh, otherwise Salley will have to reinvent herself! I'll let you know if I hear anything on the course that might prove useful.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)