Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which Format To Use

Hi all, i am stuck again, the problem is i have a class who are really nursery but will be full time recepiton in the summer term and i am not sure which assessment document i should be using. These children have come from a preschool that used the building a profile document and the information looks pretty accurate so should i go back over this or should i start using the eprofile document but also keep a paper copy. :oxD confued. ger

If the children are in their reception year (ie have their 5th birthdays within this school year) at the moment, you should be assessing against the profile. The eprofile is very useful for comparisons etc and will give you info that you cant easily get from the paper profile although not impossible.

The profile/eprofile are reception year assessments so should not really be used in nursery/ FS1.

You have a statutory obligation to report the profile scores across the 13 scales at the end of the reception year. How you record this is up to you but if your LEA supports the eprofile I would suggest that is the way to go. You can easily transfer the points across. I dont think there is any benefit of keeping a booklet and using the eprofile, although you may wish to have some sort of paper record of where the children are--this can be obtained through the eprofile though.

If the children have booklets that were started before September 07, they wont actually be completely accurate as there has been an alteration in the wording of one of the "linking sounds" points to reflect the new guidance on teaching phonics.

Does that help?

I haven't heard of the building a profile document - can you give us more info? :o

its a suffolk county council one, it is like step by step but it's got bubbles inside. ger

If the children are in their reception year (ie have their 5th birthdays within this school year) at the moment, you should be assessing against the profile. The eprofile is very useful for comparisons etc and will give you info that you cant easily get from the paper profile although not impossible.

The profile/eprofile are reception year assessments so should not really be used in nursery/ FS1.

You have a statutory obligation to report the profile scores across the 13 scales at the end of the reception year. How you record this is up to you but if your LEA supports the eprofile I would suggest that is the way to go. You can easily transfer the points across. I dont think there is any benefit of keeping a booklet and using the eprofile, although you may wish to have some sort of paper record of where the children are--this can be obtained through the eprofile though.

If the children have booklets that were started before September 07, they wont actually be completely accurate as there has been an alteration in the wording of one of the "linking sounds" points to reflect the new guidance on teaching phonics.

Does that help?

Yes it does, but is it too early to begin it for those children who will not be 5 until the summer term and also is there anything you recommend using until then. im not sure if i can face the step by step document, thanks for your help

At my school we only have 1 intake so all my children- even those who aren't 5 until the summer- are being assessed against the FS Profile. My school uses the Foundation stage tracker (Essex county council) which then feeds into the Primary Target Tracker for further up the school. The FS tracker is great as it allows you to compare scale points for autumn, spring, summer and on entry data (assuming you update it regularly!). You can track individuals, groups and whole class progress. These are obviously things you can do do on the e-profile. I'd definatley recommend using it for all pupils.

Yes it does, but is it too early to begin it for those children who will not be 5 until the summer term and also is there anything you recommend using until then. im not sure if i can face the step by step document, thanks for your help

If the children are 5 in the summer term, the profile is your assessment. It is not too early to use eprofile to record where they are they and the progress they make.

At my school we only have 1 intake so all my children- even those who aren't 5 until the summer- are being assessed against the FS Profile. My school uses the Foundation stage tracker (Essex county council) which then feeds into the Primary Target Tracker for further up the school. The FS tracker is great as it allows you to compare scale points for autumn, spring, summer and on entry data (assuming you update it regularly!). You can track individuals, groups and whole class progress. These are obviously things you can do do on the e-profile. I'd definatley recommend using it for all pupils.

where do you get the foundation stage tracker from? is it like classroom monitor? thanks ger

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)