Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Letter Formation Rhymes

Does anyone use any rhymes or sayings to help the children with their letter formation? The handwriting scheme my school uses refers to them as curly caterpillar letters ©, one armed robot letters ®, long ladder letters (l) and zig zag monster letters (z). But there doesn't seem to be a little rhyme/saying for each individual letter. Any ideas of sayings that they could say as they write each individual letter?

Also does anyone have an ideas for the old age problem of confusion over b/d?

Thanks guys. xx

I'm sure this has been discussed before, and being impresse with someones feedback,...............was it you Marion?!!

All I can remember is t- 'top to toe then across we go'

:o

Hello!

Yes, we use the jingles which appear at the back of 'Foundations of Literacy' by Sue Palmer and somebody else, but I'm sure you'll find it on Amazon with just the title - it features a rainbow on the front with all the areas of CLLD. For exampe, we have just taught e, and the jingle goes: take the elephant to the exit, over the top and round and stop. The children then write on their hand, on eachother's back and write big with their whole body using the jingle (it's not a musical jingle!) teaching 'a' is start off as if c for cat, come up like an acrobat, down to the ground and flick...

I hope this helps, get the book it's geat! I've enlarged the jingles on one sheet, laminated them and keep by my chair by the board because I can't remember but means they're always there when teaching phonics.

Tash X

nmarquez - these sound great and I can imagine I'd have liked using them when I was that age!

What age group are they suitable for - do you use them from the minute children start to want to write letters?

I also love the idea of writing on each other's backs - no need to go back and rub it out if you go wrong!

Maz

Hi,

We use Read, Write Inc and this has lovely 'jingles' for teaching letter formation. You can buy 1 pack of cards and that will give you the 'jingles' for each letter.

Hope this helps as well.

nmarquez - these sound great and I can imagine I'd have liked using them when I was that age!

What age group are they suitable for - do you use them from the minute children start to want to write letters?

I also love the idea of writing on each other's backs - no need to go back and rub it out if you go wrong!

Maz

Hello Maz, I teach Reception, but I'm sure you could use them in Nursery... Oh I'm glad you love them!

Tash

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)