Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Secret Santa

I am in a school where there are approx 25 members of staff and we do it every year. We draw names out of a hat to see who we get and then buy for that person. We spend £7 or thereabouts and the majority of staff take part (even the HT!) It is good fun and a cheaper alternative than buying your friends - if we didn't do it there would be about 6 people who I think I would probably buy for. Although I always make sure I get my TA something special as a little thank you.

We are doing a secret santa this year for the first time. We have already picked names out of the hat. Our spending limit is £7.50.

There are 7 of us.

After the children's christmas party we are all going to a local bistro for lunch. We shall exchange presents there. :o

We do a secret santa each year, spend £10. This doesn't include the boss who always buys a present for each of us - so this year it will be down to me then.

We also do secret santa among a group of ex Pre-school Learning Alliance types who meet up periodically to 'keep the faith'. Secret Santa has a hotmail account and he writes to everyone regularly keeping them updated as to progress at the north pole, and giving instructions - sometimes it might be a theme to base a present around, or it might be to set a challenge such as who can buy the most with the money. Sometimes he emails just to moan about Mrs Santa...

Makes our Christmas gatherings more interesting!

Maz

We've done it for many years and the budget has remained at £5.There's a bit of a competition re the gift wrapping :o They go (secretly) wrapped under the staffroom christmas tree.They are handed out on the last day after the children have gone and every one gathers in the staffroom as not all staff go on the christmas do.Traditionally they are handed out by whoever is the youngest member of staff.

Ours is a £5 limit, but it seems many do spend over as gifts are usually matched to personalities, and if you see something that is perfect, you just have to get it. We often do really silly presents, eg last year our Head got a baby's bib because he's always spilling his lunch down his front!!

We're a big school with about 50 staff, but haven't yet picked our names for this year. I was looking through the book for Hawkins Bazaar last night and there are some really good cheap ideas in there - some rather naughty! I look forward to finding out who I've got.

http://www.hawkin.com/

We do this as a whole staff (those that want to!) and spend £7. In FS though last year we decided it was getting silly with present giving between TA's, NN's and Teachers (14 staff in FS) so we all went out for a meal together and put our present money into a future gift, i can't remember all the things but we managed to 'buy' a toilet, a vegetable patch, some school desks and train a teacher..everyone agreed it was better than yet another box of chocs and we are doing the same again this year. I do buy for the team individually at the end of the summer term though!

:o

ahem..seeing that most of you spend around £5 makes our £15 seem a lot! I have always thought it was a lot but have just gone along with it! when you've got lots to buy for, its a lot to spend on a work colleague, especially when you end up receiving the most "gorgeous" poo-brown bobble hat and mittens set I got from a (mature) member of staff last year :o

Thanks for replies...we did this for the first time last year and it was 5.00. This year has gone up to 10....there are 9 staff who does this but it doesn't seem to stay very 'secret' because everyones talking about what they are getting!!!!

As someone who doesn't like or enjoy Christmas, Im never keen on these things. In my last school we agreed on a good gift (eg Oxfam unwrapped or other such good gift company) and all put our money towards that instead. With almost 100 staff last year we were able to send 80 children to school in Zambia.

With my new team of 7 this year, I hope we may buy a goat or something similar

ahem..seeing that most of you spend around £5 makes our £15 seem a lot! I have always thought it was a lot but have just gone along with it! when you've got lots to buy for, its a lot to spend on a work colleague, especially when you end up receiving the most "gorgeous" poo-brown bobble hat and mittens set I got from a (mature) member of staff last year :o

Who presumably doesn't have a subscription to the Forum then, chrystal?

Maz