Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Final Year Student! We're Going On A Bear Hunt.

I'm a fourth year student doing BA (hons) Art and Education.

I always panic! I'm doing a week on bears and using the text 'We're going on a bear hunt.' I need to plan a fantastic C.L.L lesson to be observed, so could really use some ideas for my shared and focused activities that can easily be differentiated.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, please thankyou! :o

p.s. I've found a fair amount but any other ideas for other areas of learning will be gratefully accepted- my imagination needs work!

I'm ok with CD/KUW/PD/PSED because the theme and text provide so much scope. I mainly need help with Literacy and Numeracy. I find it hard to plan effective/fun shared and focused activities that reception can cope with at this stage.

Something to do with positional language springs to mind for the maths - to do with "under" and "over", etc. - maybe acting out the story and stressing the language as you go along? Or maybe something to do with the sequence and order of the children's journey - using the language of "first", "next", etc. That seems to be quite a good aspect of maths that comes out in the story?

I'm sure some other people will be along with other ideas soon if that doesn't appeal.....?! :o

I've just realised that you said Numeracy, not Mathematical Development - so maybe my idea isn't suitable?

Edited by Wolfie

maybe you could have some sorting bears of different colours and sizes to do some comparing.

Communicating skills of terminology with posiiton and direction. what about acting out story of going on a bear hunt using props... in a story sack?

Hope this is an idea

I have a recollection of a recent DCSF dvd or clip where the children re-enacted the whole story in the outside area using tuff spots filled with appropriate materials, eg mud, water, wood etc. I can imagine the real life experience would stimulate plenty of language, discussion, turntaking, observation, and also reconstruct the story in sequence. From the perspective of the children in my setting it would really work as its hands on and real, active learning, not abstract and sat on their bums with a pen in their hands! Maybe yours function at a different level but its worth considering!

Ooh, just had a thought. If you explained that you had got one area for mud, one for water etc but were struggling with what to put into, say the windy, stormy area whynot brainstorm that with the children and run with their suggestions, gives them ownership and encourages greater, higher-level involvement. Crosses into K&U and problem solving too..................

Don't know how easy it would be to get hold off....but....we use a CD to tell the story as well as the book for visual clues. The children act out the story (indoors & outdoors) using a variety of equipment...climbing frame, tunnels, mud in tuff spot eyc using the language.....under, over, through. You could also use compare bears...which I think may have already been suggested.

Good luck

We did use the story for a music session. Listened to story, explored whole range of instruments, then decided which was best for what, eg rainmakers for swishy swashy grass.......... Then we performed it and a group of children used technology to record it (K&U). All good listening skills stuff if you wanted it to be CL&L. You could do a trick one and vary the instrument - spot the odd one out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)