Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mark Making

hi your up late!

just looking for some insperation myself

anyway we use office idea then give the office a setting ie travel agents doctors vets reception

last week alot of our children had been to visit their schools so we created a "school area" with chalk board books and paper and they all re-created some of their visits to school.

hope this helps

We had a motorbike repair shop in our outdoor area a few weeks ago - we took the workshop tools outside, and I had a ticksheet with a picture of a trike or a bike with stabilisers on with arrows pointing to parts of the bike that needed to be checked, together with the label. When our mechanics checked the brakes/tyres/bell etc they ticked the box to say it met their rigorous safety standards. There was a space for children to write their names at the top.

Even the youngest children really engaged with the task - once those riding the bikes could be persuaded to bring their vehicles to be checked at the workshop!

Dare I say this was particularly good for the boys who don't normally engage with mark making indoors...?

Maz

Are you just looking for mark making ideas in the role play area? I always leave note pads and pencils/pens etc in the role play all the time. We have a mark making table (or graphics as some people call it) with 2 trolleys full of paper,pens,pencils,crayons,felt tips etc for the children to access at all times. Also leave clip boards in home corner.

Outside we mark make with chalk, painting, paint brushes with water, whiteboards, gloup, shaving foam the list can go on!!!!

Are you just looking for mark making ideas in the role play area? I always leave note pads and pencils/pens etc in the role play all the time. We have a mark making table (or graphics as some people call it) with 2 trolleys full of paper,pens,pencils,crayons,felt tips etc for the children to access at all times. Also leave clip boards in home corner.

Outside we mark make with chalk, painting, paint brushes with water, whiteboards, gloup, shaving foam the list can go on!!!!

Thank you Mrs B, this is what we do but was looking fo rmore ideas to put on a seperate table we have for mark making.

what about drawing lines/writing name etc in wet sand or in shaving foam. This is early mark making.

We also have clip boards at each activity, for all children to be able to access.

We also have a story writing activity once a week at a different area. Today instead of the dinosaur mat out, we had a large sheet of paper stuck on the floor and a load of pens. The children were given some dinosaurs and some natural resources to look at. You just give them a pen let them draw away and you write down what they are saying. It can be anything - not even related to the dinosaurs. Some children will 'scribble' and then tell you what it says. Others write their names on the paper and draw pictures. Its really good and the children love it because they are making the story. :o

You can do this at any activity you have out.

Thanks for that LJW and you good people of Shropshire - we are always looking for ideas.

This week we have a greengrocers shop in the home corner. Mark making, amongst other things, is writing shopping lists and then off they go with their shopping baskets and money to buy whats on their list.

Had to laugh as one child said "My mummy shouted at my daddy cos he got stuff that wasn't on the shopping list"!!!!

:oxD

That's just so funny!

Its reminded me of a thing I heard on Radio Shropshire last week about 'funny things your kids say'. A grandad rang in and said his grandson, when asked what he wanted for lunch, replied ' chicken soup and crusty bread please.' He ate a whole bowlful of soup and was well into his second one when he turned to his granny and said 'Granny, how do they get this runny stuff out of the chickens?'

I nearly crashed the car I laughed so much!!! :oxD