Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tasc Wheel

Hi sorry not done this lots! I've put a reply on the back of someone elses topic but not sure if thats right so started this one. I'm probably wrong actually but oh well - sorry for repeating myself! just asking anyone who uses this tasc wheel - do children suggest what they want to learn about e.g. the topic itself or do you tell them the topic and then continue with the wheel. hope makes sense. just drinking some wine and my heads a bit fuzzy! :o

We are currently getting to grips with the TASC wheel.

I ususally give the children a general focus..e.g. what do we know about....... or What do we want to find out about....... or what do we want to learn about.....

In Reception we have found that we have needed to combine some of the segments of the wheel.... it just happened as we went through the process.

Hope that helps

L

We are currently getting to grips with the TASC wheel.

I ususally give the children a general focus..e.g. what do we know about....... or What do we want to find out about....... or what do we want to learn about.....

In Reception we have found that we have needed to combine some of the segments of the wheel.... it just happened as we went through the process.

Hope that helps

L

thanks Lorna

Yes that helps - it's almost like topic work but letting them decide what and how we learn about it.

I will try it with my reception and see how it goes. thank you for your reply :o

we were told in our staff meeting that we are going to start using them. can you enlighten me what they are, do any information would be really useful they just tagged it on the end of the meeting " foundation will be using the tasc wheel" meeting closed ??

thank you for the link

(we are linking our tasc wheel with building learning power)

have you got any idea how you are going to start?

should i think of some topics or just let them come up with something?

sorry to ask so many questions especially and you are just starting out on the tasc wheel journey

let us know how you get on

catherine

Hi!

I think TASC and Building Learning Power (BLP)were designed originally for older children. I think EYFS teacher usually incorporate the elements of both into their teaching already.

If the children show a real interest in a theme or topic we will brainstorm what they already know about it and put this on a mind map. We then ask the children what they would like to found out about, experience and write this on the mind map in a different colour. At the end of the theme we reflect on what we had brainstormed.

Also we use Plan / Do / Review and this gives children a voice and a sense of autonomy. I think good quality Early years is meeting the needs of TASC and BLP but so often later in the school teachers lose sight of the needs of the children and only see the needs of the curriculum!

Try not to get too bogged down in these terms and just keep going back to the EYFS and I am sure you will be OK.

thank you for this i think it is all to easy as you say to get bogged down

how do you do plan do review? i have some ideas but think i am making things very complicated for myself.

thank you again

thank you for this i think it is all to easy as you say to get bogged down

how do you do plan do review? i have some ideas but think i am making things very complicated for myself.

thank you again

Hi

Plan/do/review is part of the High/Scope philosophy and it is what many people call child initiated time.

Plan = At the beginning of the session the children will sit with their key worker and plan what they are going to do during work time. The adult will echo their choice and sometimes extend their ideas.

Do = work time and will last about 45 - 60 minutes and this is purely child initiated and many children will work on their plan but sometimes they don't and that is ok. The adults work and play with the children at their level and at their game modelling thinking and scaffolding learning. Some catch it observations will be made and maybe a focus observation.

Review = is back with the key worker and children discuss what they did in work time. What they have learnt and the adult will use open ended questions at this time.

I would always give the children a tidy up time before review as this is part of the system in my class.

Hope this helps you can get more info from the High/Scope website.

thank you very much - do you record the plan do review in any way?

Not really especially not at the very beginning although I do know for myself and may drop myslef a post it. At the end of YR some colleagues ask children to draw or write it in a book but personally I think it is the discussion and the conversation that is important and not that they have wriiten it down!

• 7 months later...

We are just beginning on our TASC training, such as it is, and would love to see /hear of examples of TASC wheel used in Reception. Does anyone know where to find them?

We have used the TASc wheel in reception to plan activities such as OUr trip to the zoo, a teddy bears picnic, mini topics, designing and making homes for our teddy bears- DT project.. Not used it that much... its one of the many things we have been given inset on on then not done a great deal with. Be interesting to see what others come up with.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)